BGE Analyzer Addon Testing and Feedback Thread

Hello,

I’m working on a new addon for the BGE to analyze a blend file for potential issues. Right now the addon only has two physics related checks, but I’d like to get some feedback before going much further. You can find the addon here.

Some questions I have for people:

• What should the addon check for?
  • What priorities should the checks have?
  • Should there be priorities?
  • Should there be any changes to the output?

Thanks for any feedback, and I hope you find the addon useful (especially when I get some more checks in).

Cheers,
Moguri

It doesn’t work on 2.62, no attribute named polygons on mesh. Worked fine for me on 2.63 though.

Its a really good idea, it picked up a skydome that I hadn’t thought to disable collision for. The output is easy to read. I’m not sure about what other checks you could do though.

One thing though, if you have your resources spread over many .blend files it won’t really analyze them.

@andrew-101:
Yeah, it would be nice if I could figure out how to run this on a directory. Although, I guess a script calling the operator and running Blender in background mode on each of your blends would do the trick. However, I have added support for dupligroups from linked in libraries. So, if you link in a bunch of assets as groups (like YoFrankie! did), then the linked in objects can still be properly analyzed.

Ye, the addon seems to work nicely. Thankfully it didnt throw up too many physics errors in my scene :p, but I dont know how comprehensive the tests are.

Maybe it could check for any n-gons in the scene and on what mesh? I dont think this is a particularly high priority check, but I have had some odd physics problems with n-gons. Oh and sometimes the mesh is triangulated in what looks like the most unoptimised way. Most of the time n-gons work fine in the bge, but I have been trying to eliminate them… just in case.

And maybe it could check that all images are sized to the power of 2 and alert you which ones are not.

Most modern cards support NPOT (Non Power of Two) textures - There is still some performance benefit to POT textures, but it’s insignificant in most cases.

possible “questions” the analyser could “ask” a blend file:

1. Are the texture files packed or available in their relative/defined location/path?

1. (same for scripts if it’s possible?)

2. same, but for sound files

4. Actually, make the analyser look if all files that are “called”/required by the main blend are present in their defined locations and/or accessible

4.a. Are those files actually existing, but the main blend file is using bad file ids ?? (like the blend trying to open music.wav and it’s actually music1.wav or something…)

(thinking…)

I don’t believe that’s the case - I think that having oddly sized textures can dramatically increase conversion time (when you first start the engine).