Blender not working after Ubuntu upgrade

Xlib:  extension "GLX" missing on display ":0".
/build/buildd/blender-2.62/intern/ghost/intern/GHOST_WindowX11.cpp:193: X11 glXQueryVersion() failed, verify working openGL system!
initial window could not find the GLX extension, exit!
Segmentation fault (core dumped)

first: install the older blender version from the ubuntu repository and check it is running.
Then you will have as default this older blender-2.60 … or whatever made it into the ubuntu version.
If it does not run, then you have a more severe system problem. If it runs and shows no lib-errors, you have to check what librarys the downloaded blender-2.62 version uses —

i wonder why you start blender from the build-directory… did you compile a own version?
Then you may have not installed the necessary dev-libs … or the compiled version uses older ones, which are replaced to new versions …
and last: check your glx-settings, with glxinfo from the opengl package

I did not compile a version. I found when I used a GUI and called it from a menu nothing seemed to happen. That’s when I brought up a console and typed in Blender. You have the results of that. I believe that is the package from Unbuntu’s repository. I can try a download from Blender’s site. I have also been having a whole lot of trouble with my NVIDIA geforce card since the upgrade - it’s not being recognized as a nvidia card for some reason. Maybe I should be bugging the Unbuntu site rather than here, but I susupect BlenderArtists members are more likely to have seen similar issues than general Unbuntu users.

Thanks for your input. I hope to clear this up soon.

My friend and I are also working on a similar problem on some crappy computers. Here is the error we got when we tried to debug Blender 2.63:

Blender 2.63 (sub 0)
Build: 2012-05-09 17:52:08 Linux:32bit Release
argv[0] = /home/pigmice/Desktop/blender-2.63a-linux-glibc27-i686/blender
argv[1] = --debug
connect failed: No such file or directory
ndof: spacenavd not found
read file
Version 262 sub 4 svn r45955

ordered
OBCube
OBLamp
OBCamera
found bundled python: /home/pigmice/Desktop/blender-2.63a-linux-glibc27-i686/2.63/python
read file
Version 262 sub 3 svn r0
recalcob Cube
recalcdata Cube
Segmentation fault (core dumped)

we are fixing up 6 old computers and realized that the three with this error all were the ones that didn’t have their own onboard graphics. We haven’t gotten a solution yet, but if that helps, please post about how you solved it.

PS, we think installing the drivers should work (duh), but I’ll post here once we get things solved.

then you should always include:

system-version
some hardware specs (like the nvidia-card … what is it … or laptop with one?)
and shure
the blender-version like it is shown on the splash-screen.

my last ubuntu update still runs … like before.
ubuntu-10.04
2.6.32-41-generic #90-Ubuntu SMP Tue May 22 11:29:51 UTC 2012 x86_64 GNU/Linux
blender-2.49b (the one with this ubuntu version) still runs
and same goes to
blender-2.61
blender-2.63a (both downloaded versions from blender.org)
(the different self-compiled versions … i did not check)
the nvidia is a slow one: GeForce 8400 GS
and X11 uses the propri.driver installed thru ubuntu-hardware-update
nvidia driver version: 195.36.24

and to use the different blender-versions, i use little scripts to switch to the directory, where those are installed and start the version out of this.

If you are using one of those newer ubuntu-versions with unity?, then you should think about how to disable some of those power-consuming 3D-gimmicks or
even switch to a cleaner windowmanager, if gnome-3 is making to much problems.