Where is the .ply format texture?

I went to Siggraph 2012 and there was a company there doing free face scans of people. The company was 3D3 Solutions.

They just sent me the .ply file and it opens fine in CC Viewer, with the texture applied. The texture is the image captured by their camera of my skin, and hair. It is in color.

The propblem I’m having is getting it into blender with the texture applied. I tried importing it directly into blender in .ply format. I’ve also tried exporting the .ply out of MeshLab in various formats, but it always comes into blender with no texture applied.

Is there a way to do this?

Thanks.

Change to vertex paint mode and you should see the colour

Attached is an image of an imported .ply test file from the 3D3 Solutions website

Attachments

When you import .ply file in blender you see imported mesh only. While it does have uv map information , material and texture is not yet assigned.
It is left as a homework to do. Add new default material, switch to textures and assign your image file; check mapping to UV. That should be enough to see your image texture applied to mesh when rendered or in GLSL display mode. Tweak lights and other material properties.

EDIT Did not see previous one. That worked if i export as .ply textured monkey and import it back.

Okay, switching to ‘Vertex’ mode worked. I can see the color image over the mesh now. But if I want to get the texture out, how do I do that. If you start with a .ply and want to end up with an .obj and a texture, what is the process?

Seams, unwrap, new image, on Materials check Vertex Color Paint, bake Render, save image, uncheck Vertex color paint; something like that. Then apply texture to the mesh.

The texture is the image captured by their camera of my skin, and hair. It is in color.
. What about this?

If you want an image texture you will have to UV unwrap your object. You model will have a very high poly count so this is realistically impractical. If you can unwrap it you can then bake the vertex paint info to a tuxture using the Render / Bake / Texture panel and in the object material / Options panel selecting ‘Vertex Color Paint’ checkbox
You could make a lower poly proxy object and , unwrap that and then bake the vertex paint from the original high poly model to the low poly model.