Lost Animations

Has anyone ever had problems with losing animations when opening blender? Let me explain: So one day, I was working on a game, and I made some animations for the player object. The next day, I opened it, And one of the animations was missing. The weird thing is that it has happened multiple times! Does anyone know what the problem is, and if there is a setting that can be changed to fix it?

Make sure the “F” is selected next to the action’s name in the Action Editor. This used to be enabled by default, and in my opinion should go back to being enabled by default. The current default leads to a lot of threads like this one…

Same, there’s really no reason for actions not to be saved. It seems to me to be an exceptionally rare case that whenever you make an action, you place it on an object.

It is only exceptional when using the BGE. I think when using Blender you keep the action at the single object.

Finally it is really not nice that it is that much easy to loose a lot of work.

I meant that for things like armatures, I couldn’t see placing the action on multiple armatures, like each character has their own animation cycles and there aren’t any unused animations. It seems more likely that you would create a library of actions and then place them on the desired armatures somehow. But I don’t use Blender outside of the BGE, basically, so I don’t really know.

Thanks for the responses. I checked the ‘F’ in the action editor, and hopefully I won’t lose any more animations. It was really annoying me :slight_smile: .

Ive noticed another workaround to this. My current practice is to have the Action editor open and the NLA editor. When you have a clip open in the NLA editor and you press the little snowflake icon beside it, that makes the clip stay in the file after saving. But of course it would be less frustrating if the stuff wasnt marked not to be saved by default.