Denis rocks! (hair stuff and Cloth sim)

Hey dudes and gals, I want to make some cool char :slight_smile:

I need your help, please!

This is my 1st human char. Not too bad (IMHO) but I really need
to know how to create and simulate PROPER poly hair (as I want to
render the whole stuff in Cycles).
Thank you, dude who invented the blend with Hair Factory. It’s almost all to you
I got this texture on his curls (not mention our precious Blender Devs!).

My setup was:

• a modelled head
  • a VGroup to grow hair
  • a hair piece
  • a PS on that head
  • hair length set to VGroup

I’ve got some funny punkish dude with a hedgehog like “wig”.
I’ve made a VGroup to pin hair roots in a hair piece mesh.
Next I’ve convert PS to objects, join 'em to one.
And finally I’ve set Rubber and tweaked some (you’ll see in the pic).
Made a little simulation and it’s the result! :slight_smile:

Do you see? It’s a mad chaos :smiley:
Of course I can fix that problem with his baldness on the top. BUT
How to make his hair cut much closer to that nice boy on the photograph?
Also how to prepare it for a better Cloth simulation? I need to every piece have a pretty volume and bended-up ends like in reality.

P.S. BTW, that model was my previous test task. Those guys made me think
it’s a crazyness b’coz they gave me just one pic as a reference. Of course I didn’t
find his other views. It’s a popular photograph on the net. So I got three other references to sculpt the boy (another boys to see some common anatomy details).
Next I’ve made a good (in my reality) retopo-model. Thanks to BSurfaces! I’ve saved a lot of time!!! Also thanks to this http://hippydrome.com/ page and that guy who owns it! Check this it’s a cool articulation ref. and tuts!!!
Then I tried to create some “real Hair”… The result… mine was suxx… really! I’ve lost about two days to comb it and I got only some “wire”-like copy of the original. Very poor quality!
I’ve shown the result but those guys gave me “off”. Even didn’t shown any respect to tell me what’s wrong with my model or something else. Perhaps they wanted to get a poly-hair.
OK, but I’ll do this for myself growth now :slight_smile:

This is a little more preview (only 600 passes and NR).

Another thing i dont know how to do, mesh hair and phisics simulation.Keep working.I will reach to that some day.So i hope somebody gives you a proper answer.
BTW visit my thread and post some impressions( sorry, i have to knock on every door :D)

As I told you in my “Kenshiro” thread, you could try using curves for each strand: very easy to model, change, and animate. You can even apply physics on them.

I tried curves with Cloth already - it’s falling through obstacles (with Collision enabled of course). Is it a limitation?
I need to hair is not going through the head and not going into each other.

First, do you REALLY need collisions. They make the whole hair thing complex, for very little benefits. Most of the time all we need is some believable motion, nothing really precise.

With soft body simulations, you need to make obstacle objects static (collision button in the physics panel)

If you decide you need hair collisions, the best I know is to one simple mesh colliders per strand for the physical simulation (won’t be rendered), then hook the strand curve’s vertices (the curve that will be rendered) along that physical mesh. Very efficient.

You can also do the other way around: use a physical curve, then apply a curve deform on the strand mesh.

At the moment I think the hair looks a little too much like feathers or wood shavings lol. You should make each strand a little thicker maybe, especially the base. You should also have a play around with the alpha on the texture and make it a little transparent around the edges.

At the end I want to create Denis’ animation where he’ll be skateboarding on some street or hills or at a school (environment will not be a big issue).

Please write about this moment a bit more detailed. I can’t understand about parents, links or hooks or all together.
Yeah, I did some tricks with hooking before this but that was not with hair (or poly-hair). So I will not be asking noob questions about “where is parenting” or “how to hook on three points”…
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRhaWWX3X_A&feature=share&list=UUWfAYv-K5ZggY7iglDtSkTQ - here is the camera linked to a mesh Shrinkwrapped onto an OceanSim water (parenting or hooking… don’t remember but I can check this and actually share .blend if somebody need this).

Already did this to get a base form of my strand :slight_smile: Not dynamically.

You’re right! :slight_smile:
I’ve notice about it’s look too! That was a “preview mistake” where in a small-small window his back hair looked fantastic but on F12 all strands looks more like a colored plastic pieces. It’s because I’ve replace Transp. node to Translucent.
And the form… I’ll redo it now.

Little hair test after making a new setup.
I forgot to add color to Transparent node so it looks wrong.
My question is about dynamics. Setting proper Cloth is difficult for me.
I added Vgroup that’s in charge for bending. After several tests with a single curl I made a proper (better than 1st I suppose) setup. Although meshes can’t exist too close to each other. Maybe I should try to Crease root’s vertices to make it wider.
The modifiers’ setup is:
Cloth then Subsurf (2).
Cloth setup is below:

Attachments

Here are hair and hair-alpha textures:

Anybody can use 'em freely to try or produce anything. You can give credits to Hair Factory.
Alpha was made in a graphic editor with several tweaks and drawn line over hair texture.

Attachments

Moolah, check Tomo’s work for inspiration about dynamic hair.
His work is amazing, maybe you’ve already seen it before

Also his blog (in Japanese)
http://tomo.asks.jp/

There is also fedb

If you still can’t find your way around with hooks and dynamic stuff, I’ll try to send you an example blend file.

Good example! Thank you! I think you mean that it can be partially simulated, isn’t it? Maybe he do hair rigs, I don’t know but looks like Cloth (or Soft Body).
Just watched the last video! I’m getting closer :slight_smile: I’ll try using MExtrude addon (by Liero and Macouno). It has a cool option to auto-create rigs with aims for any geometry.

Very cool example video! Coming along really nicely :slight_smile:

Impressive work , thanks for sharing.

I’ve been playing around quite a bit with dynamic hair, and here are MY conclusions (means it works for my personal needs and taste, probably not everyone’s)

1. first, it’s hard to get right, so make sure you really need dynamic hear before diving in, unless you’re specifically doing it for learning (which I did, but never really used it). Of course, once set up, dynamic hair gives awesome results !!! I’m never bored of watching such realistic hair movement on a character, it brings him/her to life tremendously.

2. long hair is harder that short hair obvisouly, coz’ with long hair they act like rope dynamic, which is even harder

3. always use a simple dynamic rig, be it a mesh or curve, for the hair strands, then attach the visible strand (mesh, surface,…) to that simple rig. I don’t care if the hair goes partially inside an arm or the head, no one will notice, and if they do, they don’t care either.

4. same for obstacle. use simplified meshes. Never the rendered thing.

5. Dynamic curves are mush easier to deal with than dynamic meshes, and also much easier to model spicky strands (perfect for manga characters)

6. But use meshes for static hair that won’t move (much easier to cover the rest of the head with a mesh than with mutlitple curves)

7. You don’t need EVERY spike to be dynamic. Just one or two strands here and there are enough to give a nice effect

Food for thoughts…

1. In my case - yes :slight_smile: Further I’m going to create very dynamic animations (it’s simpler for me than think out something slow like conversations, walks)
  2. Do you mean “Long Hair” tick in Hair Sim or just long hair but using Cloth (or SoftBody) Sim?
  3. I didn’t got how to make that rigs ^____^ Tried to hook a specified part (point) of a Bezier curve to three points of a SoftBody simulated mesh… The curve doesn’t responses to Sim. What’s wrong? I’ll post .blend later.
  4. Sure, I learned it already! Thanks for reminding!
  5. But dynamic curves goes through all obstacles… How to avoid it?
  6. Very good advice. I think I must do a part of his hair static if I don’t want to bring my life to Denis’ hair baking :smiley:
  7. Maybe some spikes (or curls) can be just simplified if they has small sizes. I’ll do it after setting all hair and sure my sim will bake well.
    Good food :slight_smile:

http://www.pasteall.org/blend/16654 - failed with hooked Curve

I found that I can put MeshDeform to bend hi-poly meshes.
But actually it’s hard to avoid jello-like character of a simulation… Cloth is better in this “hair” way.

http://www.pasteall.org/blend/16655 - MeshDeform.