Rapid Character Creation and rigging: Skin Modifier and Rigify

Hello,

Here is a small little tutorial I made awhile back, but thought a share here might help some more people. I feel this new technique of modelling will greatly help increase prototyping speed etc.

Enjoy!

this is the first time that i’ve seen the skin modifier used (didnt know it even existed lol). Question: Are you able to scuplt the skin after applying the modifier? Wondering how you would throw on clothing and facial features, let alone muscles definition & everything else. . .

Hi Walldiv,

yes once you apply the modifier it becomes a normal mesh, same as applying most modifiers. So you could model using the skin mod then apply and add details like you said.

Tim

MOST EXCELLENT. . . this looks like a much faster/convenient way to model compaired to box modeling. does it make up vertices/polygons or is it nurbs based?

Yes it really is a faster way, it is similar to those metaspheres in that it makes joints and intersections and the vertices kind of gloop together. And, yes it is vertex based.

This is very excellent, very useful to create any character you want along with sculpting details into it. :slight_smile: