Discovery of the Ancient Monument

Okay, I think I am done with this for now.

The idea is to portray a post apocalyptic world and what is once a great monument of mankind is now starting to decay…

render in cycles
model in blender 2.64

hi-res

Attachments

good concept and decent execution, although the plaza underneath the eiffel tower would not look like that, in such a scenario. In fact the grass there looks like someone is still taking care of it… too even.

you should spend more time making ruined buildings and debris which would be consistent with the level of decay of the tower.

Wow. you did a great job with the overall feeling to it. Two things really stick out to me though. First the scale seems way off, if this is actually supposed to be the actual tower then the trees and grass would be much, much smaller. Also the grass looks a little too uniform. Besides that I love it, its definitely better than I’ve ever done.

I like it. Even though I would imagine that such a monument which lasted already 100+ years would decay more in a structural way. Rust is just the beginning.

I like your picture. The composition and the colors are very pleasing.

Yet, some aspects are disturbing to me :

• As a post-apocalyptic world, this view seems very quiet and very “nice”. Like others said before, it looks as if Mother Nature or some “great gardener” was taking care of the grass, the trees and the little flowers. As far as I’m concerned, this doesn’t fit with my vision of a post-apocalyptic world. (But if you did want to express that, well done !) If there is such a great gardener, why did the apocalypse happen in the first place?
  • As a vision of the Eiffel Tower, the tower looks small (the real one is 320 m, or 1000 ft. high) and the landscape is very different from the actual surroundings. To summarize, in the real Paris, the Seine river is north of the tower and flows east to west ; a large plaza (the Champ de Mars), but rather narrow in the east-west direction, is south of the tower and stretches far south ; east and west are dense urban areas, and the tower stands in the center of Paris, where there are many other historical monuments. You can find many reference photos at http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Tour_Eiffel I find it surprising that nothing at all has survived of this urban landscape. It looks as if the tower had been displaced. Again, if it’s a deliberate choice, I don’t criticize it.

By the way, your picture reminds me of the last scene of Planet Of The Apes (1968) with the Statue of Liberty. On the linked wikimedia page, you can find a view of the tower with the Paris Statue of Liberty in the foreground. This could be an inspiration if you wanted to remake your project.

Again, I do like what you did. Maybe what disturbs me is only due to my vision of the real Paris and my expectations about a post-apocalyptic world. (And there is always something called artistic licence.) Go on, and have fun!

^Thanks for the comments!!
I know there are many things missing, but between the tower, the ivy, the trees and the grass. I am almost pushing my computer to it’s max (as I say on my many post before, my computer sucks, lol)
So, in the end I just do my best to present the tower.
-As for the grass, I can’t believe I overlook how uniform it is…

fixing up those grass

Attachments

Finally I am able to post the hi-res version

Very nice! I love the lighting, color, overall look, and the fresh view of that famous structure.

Maybe it’s not post-apocalyptic, but post-post-apocalyptic?

^Took me a while to response but thanks for the support

I don’t know if it’s the size of the flowers/grass, the trees in the background or the perspective, but the image overall really makes the Eiffel tower look very small

You might not realize how big this thing is