A Holiday Emu

A very Merry Christmas to you all.
I made this to test out the Cycles Strand Rendering Patch.

This was the first version then I decided to to make it a bit more Christmasy. I got the idea to add snow flakes to the fur from Draguu’s “The Rudolf”.

Wow that’s incredible dude… :slight_smile:
Could you please post a material node set up for the eye shader and fur … totally awsome…

Sure thing. THis is the Iris setup. I painted an iris texture in blender.

The cornea

The main fur setup. The fur gets its color from a painted image texture. The most important thing here is the translucency.

Great… thanks :slight_smile:
How about the environment ? you use an environment texture or have a light rig set up to that scene ?

woowww… that looks real…i loved the fur, it is nicely combed :slight_smile:

I used an equirectangular panorama which I converted to a pseudo hdri as an environment and 5 light emitting planes for lighting. I shaped one of the lights to create a pleasing reflection in the eye. I used a photograph for the background.

He looks so cuddly!
Looks great and realistic! I like the idea with Rudolf! How long the render take?
Really good job!

Excellent. (*5)
I love the first version too.
Great use of the new fur feature (cycles).
Now, how superior it looks to the old BI fur, wow.

This is awesome, great job.

With such a great work as this one I tend to be suspicious. Can I see a wire of this beauty?

Absolutely brilliant! This is one of the best demonstrations of cycles strand rendering I have seen.

Very cute and inspiring, and thanks for sharing your node setups. I commend you for taking it that next step :slight_smile:

Yay. Emu. :slight_smile: A very lost emu though - Christmas in Australia is anything but snowy.

Thanks everybody!

AqapeSchalom- The one with antlers took a little over an hour to render with 1500 samples and the other took around 30min with 1000 samples.

Mookie3d- Of course you can.

And Here it is with fur in the viewport.

I made the emus fur with 3 hair systems to make it look more natural. The first one covers most of the model.

The Next one Is shorter fur to blend the hair into the beak.

And the last one is long black fur. I made this to add some randomness to the fur. I love the way this one looks in the viewport. :smiley:

I used a different shader for the fuzz and long hairs and that looks like this.

And here is the composting set up.

Happy blending!

beautiful! thanks a lot for the details

Hahah, this is incredible. Very cool!

Love the image!! And thanks for all the information with; a lot to learn from here!

Now I’m a believer. Splendid work!