Octane Render for Blender

This is the official announcement of the Octane Render for Blender:

http://render.otoy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=27350

More tools to play with Blender :wink: , I think it’s an awesome news. Here it is a video to show the actual status, notice the nice integration of the materials in Blender with nodes:

https://youtu.be/Z5g5MYB9Bk4

1 Like

neat!! is there actually an additional cost for the plugin, though, or is this supposed to just become available as a download for Octane owners?

Very nice!

I didn’t expect this day to actually come but I’m happy to be proved wrong :slight_smile:

Very happy! I know that you have to pay for the 3ds max etc plugins. I want to know if they’ll do the same for Blender’s…

We shouldn’t be surprise if we have to pay for a plugin like this in Blender or other. If we want Blender to be at the same level as other 3D apps we should have comercial plugins like this, that way more companys will think in Blender also as a profesional product and they will put more effort in bring their products into Blender, I would pay not only for this plugin but also for some other plugins to bring additional tools into Blender in other fields, like post-production plugins (similar to after effects: boris fx, re:vision, redgiant, etc…)

I was playing with Octane Render for the last month or so and I was very impressed with its speed and fantastic results, but I was on the fence about actually buying it since it wasn’t integrated into Blender. This however changes everything! I’ll probably get the Octane Render + Blender plugin bundle when its released :eyebrowlift:

At one point I was doubting we’d ever see it, as it seemed there was no dev interested to do it.
Great news, also that it perfectly works with Blenders license.

I also don’t mind paying for the plugin, and also want to thank Yoyoz here for his inofficial exporter he supplied over the years :smiley:

What bugs me though is, how well will the plugin be maintained, and will there be additional cost to get the latest version?
It’s “easy” to make a plugin for Maya with a rather rockstable API compared to the changes Blender goes through in a month :smiley:

Yeah, we shouldn’t. And now that Blender has been considered for these things, it gains a bit more of rep. Probably not from studios, but from freelancers who can do a little more than they currently can in Blender. No program is perfect.

that’s some nicely integrated 3rd party renderer :slight_smile: now maybe yafaray and luxrenderer etc can do the same?
or at least , the tools are there now. to have your own custom shader nodes, have the render i/o display directly
in blender 3d viewport.

This is pretty cool. Wonder if they have only used the APIs or if they needed to hack some deeper to get it integrated. I mean the pynodes project is not in yet, so how did they do that? pynodes branch maybe?

Anyways its great news and very well for octane and blender!
Hope yaf, lux, mitsuba etc can soon follow.

I wonder what “the way” to avoid GPL conflicts is. It probably involves transferring data through the file system or over the network.

Everything you have seen can be achieved by just abusing node groups.

Edit: Nevermind

So now blender is my best application ever, because in next few mounths, if it will be official… you know…

Blender will be powerfull app.
Cycles - Non physical correct render engine GPU, (fast, node materials, Live viewport)
Octane - physical correct render engine GPU (fast, node materials, live viewport)

UI so similar between… this is really GREAT!

i can pay for this

As far as I know, cycles is just as unbiased as octane, the main difference is that octane uses spectral rendering. For me that’s not a game changer, just look at the realism vray can achieve and it also isn’t spectral. Cycles can also be biased of course, but so can Octane…
Besides this, if anyone can point out something else that octane can do for realisim that cycles can’t i’d be happy to know.

Octane have physicaly materials, and it is quicker and it is AMD and Nvidia.

The materials inOctane are just as physically based as the ones in Cycles. And as far as I know it’s CUDA only as well.

i have to check it, i was 100% sure that octane have AMD support.

@ Kramon
As far as I know Octane runs only on CUDA which means only Nvidia GPUs. Not even on CPU and not on AMD GPUs. Or has this changed? And I think you can build physically correct materials with cycles too (like energy conserving etc.). But cycles can also break it which opens so many possibilities.

yep that s ture with that AMD that is not supported my foulth.

but don’t compare those 2 the biggest + is that blender is going on market the big companies are starting to getting interested about blender. Look Ted, was unwraped by blender, Octane now do, really great integretion. Ofc big hollywood studios like DD or industrial light and magic… have thair own programs. Still, blender is getting on power.

Why every time a Cycles vs. Octane discussion start, Cycles is not physically correct and never was intend to be.
(For example glass has no dispersion, absorption, you have to fake it.)
Anyway I am happy a good render engine supports Blender, this can´t be bad for Blender.

Cheers, mib.