Questions with easy (but perhaps not obvious) answers

Hello. I am not new to Blender, but there are a few things I’d like to know, and I figured this would be the fastest way to get the answers. Any help is appreciated!

1. Is there a way to quickly switch between face select, edge select, and vertex select?

2. Is there a way to select vertices that are “hidden” (i.e. use border select on the right edge of a cube and select all 4 vertices on the right side of the cube instead of just the two visible ones?)

3. How can I combine two meshes into a single mesh? Can I join along edges? Will this process automatically remove duplicate vertices?

4. What’s the best way to make raised or lowered designs and details into a given surface? (think the dots on a die, for example). I was thinking of using subdivide on the surface, rearranging the new vertices on the surface, and then extruding them inward, but it seems inefficient to have to drag and place each vertex by hand, which leads me to my next question…

5. Is it possible to etch new edges and vertices into a given face?

6. How can you change the origin (the point around which the object rotates) of a given object? Is there a way to do this other than translating an object in edit mode?

7. If I rotate a cube by an arbitrary angle, and then I decide later that I want to reorient it so it that the faces are orthogonal to the xyz axis, how can I do this? (My current solution is to delete the cube and create a fresh one).

Sorry if I asked too many, but these are just some of the frustrations I’ve encountered while working with blender. Any answers are appreciated!

1. Ctrl-Tab - choose one needed.
  2. I often toggle Z key for that but there’s Limit to Visible button (dice like icon).
  3. Ctrl-J joins Objects. Mesh stays same if not option Edit - Auto Merge on, i guess (you could have had n default cube meshes in one place). Not sure what is “join along edges”. You join Objects as they are positioned before you issue command. “W Remove doubles” should be your survival instinct No1, Ctrl-N - No2.
  4. There are more efficient modelling ways. Reuse parts of the default objects - Sphere. Use Proportional Edit.
  5. It’s either modelling (Inset, Bevel, Loopcut, K knife cut) or Displace by texture; latter leads to excess geometry.
  6. 3d cursor to selected mesh place, switch Object mode, on T-tab -Origin button or complicated shortcut.
  7. Object mode - Clear Rotation - Alt-R