[AddOn] RE:Grid Animated Vertex Generator (for 2.66)

Hi All,

I am still playing around with generating parametric meshes on-the-fly, in a frame change event, and I thought…what we need is a simple parametric vertex generator. RE:Grid tries to be just that. It allows you to layout grid based vertex points only. So the mesh it makes has no faces or edges. This means it can be used by a particle system to deploy final/instanced meshes or groups and reacts to forces.

RE:Grid is similar to stacking 3 Array modifiers upon a mesh object except the mesh is deployed by the Empties or Particle System. Using the particle system for deployment gives us the ability to control the various aspects of the instances via textures, groups and forces. Something the Array modifier can not do.

There is a feature to also generate Empties at each vertex. The Empties can also track a particle system if one is applied to the RE:Grid mesh. The empties can also deploy an alternate group if one is specified.

What is unique about this internal linking and management is the fact that RE:Grid will automatically set the particle count to the number of vertices it is generating insuring a 1:1 ratio between particles and vertices. This way, when you animate the grid parameters, particles will appear in the scene at vertex locations.

Give the BLEND a try. Download and press Play. The grid builds over time with particles appearing at each point. Once the cube grid is built, the wind strength is animated up to blow the particles into a turbulence field.

Attachments

Hi Atom,
Always me the first? Thanks a lot…
A sofisticated add-on! :eyebrowlift:
Bye
Spirou4D

can you make a video demo? Thanks in advance

I have not had a chance to test this, however I am particularly interested in the generating empties from vertices feature. I assume we can define the type of “particle” to be generated by each empty, allowing for the creation of environments populated by various objects. Will this system work in the BGE? It seems like a good start for creating procedural environmental objects, i.e. plants, rocks, etc. I can’t wait to get home and try this out!