Noob texture question

I am rather new with Blender and wonder about this: When I bake the texture below onto part of my bannister, it looks very different in solid view in the 3D viewport (a light color) than in the UV window (very dark); and in texture view, it is just black. Why does it look so different in the window than in the 3D viewport?
    Name:  Screen Shot 2013-04-01 at 11.21.07 PM.png
Views: 344
Size:  104.6 KB
    Name:  Screen Shot 2013-04-01 at 10.24.46 PM.png
Views: 322
Size:  133.0 KB

I accidentally uploaded the pic below and don't know how to get rid of it.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Good question... Give us a link to the original texture (not a snapshot from within Blender) so we can study it. My wild guess is that it has an alpha channel of which the RGB values are lighter than what the UV/Image Editor shows.

As for removing an attachment, edit yourpost, go to Advanced, open the Attachment Manager, in the box at the bottom, hover the unwanted image and click the "X" that will appear then "Done" and "Save". (Yeah, I agree with you, it's really super-obvious.)
    -- Creative thinking?

Originally Posted by Kaluura View Post
    Good question... Give us a link to the original texture (not a snapshot from within Blender) so we can study it. My wild guess is that it has an alpha channel of which the RGB values are lighter than what the UV/Image Editor shows.
    Thank you :-) Do you mean the wood texture I linked to the Blender material, or to save the baked texture I made? And if the latter, what format should I save it as?

The wood texture is what interests us the most. It should be a TGA, PNG or TIFF image. If it's a JPEG, we need to take the next step.
    -- Creative thinking?

Originally Posted by Kaluura View Post
    The wood texture is what interests us the most. It should be a TGA, PNG or TIFF image. If it's a JPEG, we need to take the next step.

It is a JPEG and it is here http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs70/i/20...ck-d3a1cr8.jpg

I see... The texture has no alpha and it renders correctly. It's just displayed incorrectly everywhere else. Let's escalate to the next level because I don't understand why. It works fine for me with Blender 2.66.1. It only turns to black in the viewport because of the absence of light... which is normal.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	snap46.png 
Views:	49 
Size:	1.11 MB 
ID:	226174

Attach your file or a simplified version of it. (No need for the whole house around the bannister for example.) I recommend to simply upload your blend file at http://www.pasteall.org/blend/ and to copy/paste the provided link into your post. (So that your file don't stay available forever.)
    -- Creative thinking?