As-of-Yet Untitled Point-and-Click Adventure

I’ve been plugging away at this for a while (I made a somewhat-related post in screenshot extra extra a few months back but then my job prevented me from doing much with it. However, with my recent increase of free time, I’ve managed to bring it to a point where it’s functional enough that it actually looks like something.

The overall plan is to make at least one scene with an outdoor and indoor area, and at least one other character to interact with and a puzzle or two. I may expand on that if I find it feasible.
The basic story and gameplay are pretty simple; a boy and a girl go to explore an abandoned house, and run afoul of some sort of curse; their souls are separated from their bodies. The boy’s soul and the girl’s body are kidnapped, and the player, playing as the ghost of the girl, has to possess the zombified body of the boy to solve puzzles and undo the curse. Puzzles will involve the ability to leave the body and float around as the ghost, which can pass through some objects but can’t interact with most things.

What you’re looking at now is a super simple test area I made just to try out features as I make them; once I have basic interactions down I can start building the final assets and world and the like.

I’m trying to keep the amount of coding I do for this game to an absolute minimum, and really focus on the art assets and atmosphere. That said, I still have a decent amount of scripting to go before I have any actual interactions in the game.
On the plus side, what I do have seems to work without any bugs; if the mouse is moved over a place that can be walked to, the cursor changes, and if the player clicks the character paths over to that spot. Some objects can be clicked on to display some text.
My next step is to sort out the animation issues, before I made the dynamic loading I had turning animations that blended smoothly from idle, but something about the dynamic loading futzed with the animations.

Well that’s a pretty awesome start you have there! Looks to be going pretty well, I like how you’ve managed to get all the mechanics of a point and click game into it. Keep posting! :smiley:

Got the turning animation mostly sorted, save for a one-frame “twitch” when it starts. Still trying to figure out what that is.
Also, changed the cursor to meet the theme of the game better! Right now it’s just the zombie’s hand, I’m going to make it so when you switch to controlling the ghost the hand changes too.

http://i.minus.com/jRWN7vZSE6Vfo.jpg

[edit] it appears the embed doesn’t animate, click through to see the animated gif.

I’ve seen animated gifs on blenderartists, how does one go about embedding them?

I haven’t forgotten about this yet! I’ve been doing a lot of debugging and optimizing (my scripts got pretty out-of-hand pretty quick) so there’s not really been anything to show yet- but I did nail down the look for the scene. Boom!

And here’s the design for the mansion. I don’t think I will realistically have the time to make the interior of the mansion on top of the whole exterior area, so the game will end at the unlocking and entering of it.

My next update should be actual in-game assets. Gonna make some trees and rocks and things to put in the scenery before I make the landscape. For the time being, I’ve got a layout.

Wow the animation looks really nice! That twitch improved the feel by 500%. I was going to do a game similar to this, but I think you’re nailing it

Love the concept! Can’t wait to see more :slight_smile:

Love the style,

I am going for something like this, but more anime and futuristic, but I love how dark it is…

ah ha! Very nice and I love your drawings :slight_smile: