BGMC 8 | ant commander [download available!]

hey!
so, i decided to participate in this competition, and the theme was insects, so i thougt i would make a mix of RTS with RPG and some TPS aspects, there is a lot to do, and i dont have much time, but hopefully i will make something in time, as most of the stuff to make in this game are things i have made in the past(my current project is an RTS!), so hopefully it wont be hard to do most stuff

what is it about?
you controll an ant, you move arround in a garden, and fight with other villages, at the start you are alone, but after playing for a while, you can get NPC`s that follow and fight with you(this is where the rts part comes in), the main goal is to conquer all the other villages of the garden

what kind of graphics will this have?
cartoony, cute cold blood killers ants are cute

gameplay?
as i mentioned above, it will have some aspects of TPS, as you controll the ant, you will be able to give orders(RTS), and the garden will be a not-so-big open world(RPG)

where will this take place?
i said garden, but i dont like gardens, so it could be a jungle, an island, anywhere where you can find ants

screens?

OMG you are A-W-E-S-O-M-E!
yes, i know

downloads section:
version 0.1-fancy <<<16mb
version 0.1-fast <<<16mb no SSAO version
version 0.1-blend <<<1mb

>>>>plase read the readme file inside the game folder for info on how to play the game!<<<

all non-blend downloads are for windows.

thanks for reading!

The idea sounds interesting but complicated, I hope we get to play it next week.

day 1:
-modelled, textured, rigged ants
day 2:
-modelled a simple hive, wasted most time of the day, added simple and buggy player controlls, made a terrain for testing purposes
day3:
its tomorrow, hopefully i will finish the player controlls,and begin with the fun part: NPC´s, but im most likely going to waste all the day playing online games with my friends, or making stuff for school, lets hope that doesnt happens D:

anyway, wish me luck
-lucki

day 3 update:
fixed some things on the player code, added walk animation, added the ability to climb walls, and stay static on them, also modeled 5 tipes of grass, and did a dirty code that generates random grass(by random, i mean it chooses randomly one of the five tipes of grass, and chooses randomly its position and rotation on the world), you can see it below, thats all for now, i may or may not start with the npc`s today, i dont know yet

also, does anybody know how to get rid of those horrible white lines on the edges of the grass?

cheers
-lucki

To get rid of the white edges, you can try changing the Alpha Blend option in the material to either Alpha Blend or Alpha Sort.

You can also join all grass blades into one object, that will drop your scenegraph percentage!

Sounds interesting,and the ants’ models are good.But I wonder how can I control all of them when the ants are increasing?
Btw,I would prefer a jungle environment.

Sounds interesting,and the ants’ models are good.But I wonder how can I control all of them when the ants are increasing?Btw,I would prefer a jungle environment.

thats weird, the grass doesnt have any alpha at all D:

i cant, every grass is spawned separatedly, i would need to join them in real time, and as far as i know thats not posible, also, in that screens the grass is on static type, now i have put them on occlude, so they lag a lot less, and dont mess up the ant movement, anyway thanks for the advice!

That’s cool! I hope you finish. Are there any 2d filters on that last screen shot?

day 6 update!
yes i know, i didnt do anything on day 5, but day 6 was a very productive day!
i made the soldier npc`s, fixed some bugs on the fighting mechanics, and added two basic orders, follow me, and go to position, with these two you can do alot of stuff, and i dont think i will have time to add more, about worker npc´s and economy, i dont really think i will get to do all of that in time, i guess i will do a quick and simple economy sistem, to make it playable before monday, appart from that, the bigger part, npc combat is pretty much done, i just need to tweak a bit the movement, i also want to priorize the hives, i have the model for them , but not a single line of code yet.
there will be no menus, atleast not for the monday version, but maybe i will make a small intro-tutorial thing.
anyyyywaaaaaaay, you can see the npc´s in this screens!

thanks for reading!
-lucki

day 7:
uhm, well, this is where it ends… i made my best, but i wasted way too much time in the week, so A LOT of things are unfinished, and at the last moment, i created a lot of new bugs, i tried to do the hives, and pretty much made them, but economy its not even started so…
also, other ants cant harm you, and you cant harm them, i started a HUD, and it went out very well, but i ran out of time, so i wont be able to do much more, i will upload it later today if i can, or tomorrow

anyway, thanks for reading all the weirdness i posted here, and for following the progress, you guys rock :smiley:

-lucki

forget that, the game is very incomplete but i get to made something playable that even has a objective!
i added enemy hives that spawn a enemy ant each 10 seconds(the time you take to gather enough resources to build a ant), about economy, i couldnt do workers, but i added a function that you get a constant flow of resources, you get 1 food each second!
right now im compiling everything to get it into the .rar, i will upload it in a few minutes!

It would be nice if you could export a linux version.
If you don’t mind publishing the contents of your game a .blend version would also be nice instead so the mac users are also able to play your game.

thanks, i updated the first post, remember to read the readme file, it has some important info

Cool thx :slight_smile:
I like it, it has a lot potential. Nice and smooth animations. Hope development will go on.

Not sure how I managed to overlook this. Finally played though, and overall I was satisfied.
Some particulars:
-Loved the overlay menus
-The attack animation was pretty slick. It was fun watching them all go at it (at least before they stacked on each other)
-It was cool that you could walk on walls
-SSAO was a very nice addition
-My only complaints were already documented in the readme

And a few suggestions, just in case you want to continue development:
-Crowd simulation
-When zooming to view the full map, implement some form of LOD and perhaps center the camera (personal bias)
-Forget everything I said and make it into a spring mod

As mentioned previously, there’s definitely some potential.
Anyway that’s all from me! Keep getting booted off the wireless…

Not sure how I managed to overlook this. Finally played though, and overall I was satisfied.
Some particulars:
-Loved the overlay menus
-The attack animation was pretty slick. It was fun watching them all go at it (at least before they stacked on each other)
-It was cool that you could walk on walls
-SSAO was a very nice addition
-My only complaints were already documented in the readme

And a few suggestions, just in case you want to continue development:
-Crowd simulation
-When zooming to view the full map, implement some form of LOD and perhaps center the camera (personal bias)
-Forget everything I said and make it into a spring mod

As mentioned previously, there’s definitely some potential.
Anyway that’s all from me! Keep getting booted off the wireless…

I like it, it has a lot potential. Nice and smooth animations. Hope development will go on.

if you are the guy that made this and you are watching this video, i really want to see this finished

thanks guys for commenting and giving feedback, i really apreaciate it!(and i mean REALLY!)
i wont be able to work on this, nor on my main project, atleast not for this week and maybe the next one, i spend most time of the day at school, and when im not at school, or doing stuff for school, programing seems to break my head, so there wont be updates, atleast not until i get rid of this exams and things for school, and about spring engine, i checked it a while ago, and for some weird reason i dont like it very much, i downloaded it once, but couldnt get to open any kind of console or “development screen”, and i didnt pay it much atention, perhaps in a future i will give it a more in deep look
again thanks guys, your comments made my day ;D

-lucki