Shifting from 3DS Max to Blender for Game Asset Creation?

I am thinking of shifting from 3DS max to Blender for game asset creation. I am fluent in the modeling tools, primarily hard surface.

When I last tried blender, circa 2010, it was lagging quite far behind max and other 3D programs. How does blender stack up presently? Does it have similar 3d modeling tools compared to 3ds max, does it have anything that corresponds with graphite modeling tools?

Another concern of mine is I use 3 Point Shader quite extensively in my workflow. It’s a very handy shader that allows you to set up lights and paint your texture maps in photoshop and update the models textures in real time and see how everything is reacting to diffuse/specular/gloss. And when you are finished it enables you to make high quality portfolio level screenshots.

Does blender have a shader or a shader plugin that has similar features to 3 point shader for max?

Moved from “General Forums > Blender and CG Discussions” to “Support > Basics & Interface”

The default behavior is just like you described, but there is a “AutoMerge” button in the 3D View header now, along the bottom that allows you to automatically remove doubles after any transform. Previously this was hidden in the Mesh menu.