Direct Delete via input?

Hi,

Anybody knows if is it possible to create a shortcut to directly delete whatever elements selected bypassing the popup delete options?

I mean: If I am in vertex mode, I would like to delete whatever vertices I have selected right away, without a second click or keypress. Although maybe I wouldn’t mind to press “X” a second time…

In any case, is it possible through input config, or does it require scripting?

Regards.

Since I’m also interested by the idea and I refuse to listen to the nay-sayers :wink: in the other thread, I did something.

DelSel.0.1.py.zip (899 Bytes)

It’s a little script which will automatically delete whatever is selected in your mesh according to the current selection mode, i.e. vertices, edges or faces.

I set the shortcut to [CTRL DEL] so it’s easy to press [RETURN] just after the tiny menu appears. (It’s easy to change the shortcut but it must be done in the script.) Note however that my little script doesn’t support mixed selection modes. (I wouldn’t know what to delete in such a case. If somebody has an idea, I’ll listen.)

To use it, just open the PY file into the Text Editor and click “Run Script”. If you want the script to run every time you start Blender, activate the checkbox “Register” and save your start-up file with [CTRL U].

Note: I’m not an experimented Blender scripter so, of course, don’t sue me if the script eats your children or yourself. :smiley: And I’ll accept any suggestion to improve it.

EDIT: Fixed script. Just cleaner from a Python point of view.

EDIT AGAIN: The version 0.2 without the confirmation is down below.

@place57: Awesome thread! :smiley:

@Kaluura: That’s looking useful! Not sure if I could call it improvement, but I would love a version without the confirm menu. I’ve tried to change it but I can only manage to change the shortcuts… :smiley:
I would be glad to share some coins for that modification.

Regards.

Everything is possible… I took my pickaxe and went back to the mine to dig deeper. I found a golden nugget! :smiley:

DelSel.0.2.py.zip (818 Bytes)

No menu any more. [CTRL DEL] and… poof! Gone! :eyebrowlift:

So, for those who want to keep the confirmation with [RETURN], take version 0.1. For the hurried ones, take version 0.2.

actually i have been using blender version 2,64 for a while and in that version you can assign a hotkey to the different delete function, however in the later version this is not longer possible when you try to assign a different key to delete vertex, it assigns it also to delete edge and delete face, i think this is a very strange regression, and should be corrected by the defs i think. i will try to contact them, because i think it is not officially a bug although i think it is since it used to be different.

@Kaluura: Thanks! what a relief…

@rogerbootsma: Now that you mention it, totally looks like a bug.

ok so i was bold and reported this as a bug in blender 2,67, i think it is the right thing to do, since it is really annoying that this is not working properly. what do you guys think?

I think it is a good call, even though sometimes it’s hard to know if it is a bug or intended behaviour, in this case I’m also inclined to think it is a bug.

wow, it finally happened, i submitted the bug and it got solved, you guys have no idea how much i feel like a real blender hero right now,
actually all credit go to the devs for such fast response. really awesome, so in the latest build it is fixed you can now assign hotkeys to delete verts, edge and face individually just by opening the delete window with x and press right mouse button and then choose assign hotkey. really feels great to be part of the blender community :slight_smile:

o and zafio perhaps you can mark this thread as solved if you want :slight_smile: