Monster's manic gadgets - the attractor

Hi there!

You want to get telekinetic super power :RocknRoll:?
or are your more interested in having your hands free while working?
Are your fearing to have nothing to contribute to the the alien invasion :ba:?

Then you need this fancy chancy crazy gadget dug fresh from Monster’s pile of rarely useful things:
[INDENT]THE ATTRACTOR[/INDENT]

It works with 2.65+ (maybe earlier).
It demonstrates how to get your new telekinetic super power into a blender scene.

Usage: click and hold to an physics object to attract it to your telekinetic focal point (attractor). When moving the attractor the object will follow. Do not be to fast - if you loose contact - your force will blow off to nothing.

The file demonstrates two ways (in two scenes):

• Demo.inSight -> blows off when loosing eye contact
  • Demo.inRange -> blows off when leaving telekinetic power range

Your new telekinetic power depends on the mass of the object. Obviously heavy objects are more difficult to move. Be aware, small objects are hard to handle too ;).

You can adjust your strength with the “strength” property and the attraction range with the “range” property.

Edit: It assumes you have a gravity of 9.8 (default)

Have fun
Monster
:spin:

Attachments

AttractorDemo_nice.blend (803 KB)

1 Like

This is cool… Useful for a gravity well SMG style, or an HL2-style puzzle system. Another neat tool from Monster’s box of manic gadgets!

Woah, that’s awesome Monster!!!

I had quite a bit of fun throwing that stuff around, trying it out and such.

I will have see how you did that. I had an idea for an “enemy” for my game that would be like a small pillar or a standing cauldron type thing that would pull you into it if you got too close and zap you with electricity for a timed duration or until you destory it. Or something like that, anyway…

Great stuff, I wonder how many blender game characters will now gain telekinesis because of you! :slight_smile:

:wink:

State 1 is to identify the object to attract.
State 2 contains the attractor logic.

States16+17 are for positioning the attractor. It shouldn’t be that difficult to replace these controls with own logic.

:wink:

State 1 is to identify the object to attract.
State 2 contains the attractor logic.

States16+17 are for positioning the attractor. It shouldn’t be that difficult to replace these controls with own logic.

2.67a gives a crash. Add the missing materials, so not to crash.

Bad 2.67 tststs

updated. See top post

Its a nice demo. Looks like the bucked is too small for the cube to get in. :slight_smile:

This can be very useful for platformers where you use some objects to reach a higher platform…
I think I’ll implement this on my game…Thanks Monster! :slight_smile:

Monster, this is exactly what I want wrectifed to do,

Demonstrate concepts using pieces, that can be used to make games…

after I get the code more clean, and usable, I would like to start adding in your objects

(this would be a great end effector “Tractor beam”)

but imagine all of your “tech demos” integrated into a game, that teaches logic and some coding,
by playing the game :smiley:

Now imagine that it has a huge user content database,

now imagine every time some one plays, the BGE makes a little $$$ with its ads…

:smiley:

Yes, this one is not a ready to use component. It is a demo of a technique ;). (so no linkable library right now)

Funny this is the idea behind GGG :spin:

This would be an amazing weapon in game :smiley:

Shoot a enemy, and have all physical object near them suddenly fly into them :smiley:

just for like 5 frames,

Sure this is possible too.

Maybe we should do a little competition: best quick telekinesis game :wink:

Anyone in that?

I’ve been looking (I really need to learn Python, so as to stop searching) for this for a while!

Thank you!!

There is a way to limit the distance?
Better question, There is a way to use this system like this?

A simple if statement in the python module should do it
e.g. if own.getDistanceTo(hoverobj) < boundary:
execute

Sorry for the late reply.

You can adjust your strength with the the attraction range with the “range” property. This is the area around the original hit point your mouse cursor should remain. When you leave the area the dragging ends automatically.

Edit: I just checked. The dragging ends when the mouse is not over a draggable object anymore.