Dublicating an object along a curve without distortion: Array or DubliFrames?

I can’t figure out to make a box repeat itself along angled path yet controlling the distortion. I’ve tried DubliFrames and the Array/Curve mods. approach but cannot get along.

I want to make the box follow a squared curve, but only rotated in angles of 90 degrees.
This can somehow be achieved within Array/Curve-method yet distorted and not acceptable.

Can you help me?

Not sure why you’re using dupliframes but it should work. Since it didn’t, I would suggest trying duplifaces or dupliverts.
The goal is to have array of faces/vertices on which the object gets duplicated:

• Add a plane and add an array and curve modifier. This is to make the same what you’ve tried but with a plane
  • Parent your object to that plane (select in that order and ctrl+P)
  • Enable duplifaces for the plane array

If the deforming faces are problematic to position, you could try to scale the plane in edit mode and if that’s not enough, you could collapse all edges for the plane (select, X -> edge collapse) and change the duplication to verts.

Edit: forgot the most important part. When the dupliobject doesn’t have the correct rotation, rotate it and apply it in object mode (ctrl+a -> rotation). Apply the object scale too.

Thanks alot!

Not sure why you’re using dupliframes but it should work.

No, you’re right. Watched it on a video and picked it up there. But one doesn’t need to do it on frame basis switching off the Speed check I found out.

Combining both Array/Curve AND Dubliface made it work. Would never have figured it out without your kind advice. I need to drill a bit more to grasp the procedure entirely and get it in the fingers. One have to know whats going on …

My overall intention with this was to find a setup placing vindow frames (adding boolean insets) along a low but widely distributed industry plant. I got the feeling that this might be the way to go – I hope :wink:

Kind regards,
Mikael

The setup can be tricky yet straight foreward. One must all time remember to Apply (ctrl-a) the transformations as stipulated by JA12. There’s quite many parameters having to match. Also an important thing which might distort the arrayed object: Check out what properties is set under the “Curve” tab. If "“Radius” and “Stretch” is checked the object deforms quite inexpectedly: