Sculptris?

I’m wanting to get into 3D sculpting, and ZBrush keeps coming up, but the website says it’s $699 which put an end to that. Looking at Sculptris, is there much difference, (beside’s being free). Anybody here that has used it and wants to share they’re experience with it?

Sculptris is very good as a sculpting program, but the difference in ZBrush is way more than I can list. I would suggest watching some zbrush tutorials to see all the things that are possible with that program. If cost were no object, I think you would find both useful. Don’t forget to try Blender’s dynamic topology also, there are those that find it to be just as useful too.

Regardless of specific functionalities (that Zbrush has by thousands more than Sculptris), there’s a big difference between Sculptris and Zbrush : the method used to sculpt, that provide you with a very different “feeling” when using the brushes

Sculptris works similarly to Blender’s Dynamic Topology , you don’t need to subdivide your whole model , your brush strokes will add more faces where you’re working on, allowing you to create fine details without the need to subdivide the whole model a lot.
That’s my favorite way to sculpt personnally, you don’t need a base model because you can transform everything into everything due to the “face where you work” method used there.

Zbrush works more similarly to Blender’s Multiresolution , your brush strokes in fact “displace” the existing surface, meaning that you’ll need to subdivide the whole model to increase the density of said surface and then sculpt your details.
Usually you need a base model to get good results, though from what i read “dynamesh” that is a recent Zbrush function is a “remesher” that can remesh quickly your sculpt into a new base model in case you need.

After that you have the performance, from the trial version i toyed with a few years ago, Zbrush have a much better performance than Sculptris and Blender on every computers, weak or strong.

And Sculptris costs nothing, just go download it and try it for yourself to see if you like it , i have used it for a few years before going fully to Blender Dynamic Topology, it’s a very good little sculpting application.

I like the simplicity of Sculptris. Being 14 yrs old, price is a big aspect, I don’t have $700 to spend. I see it allows the exporting to “.obj”, can I bring this into Blender and do stuff like hair on it?

Thanks for your help, it’s much appreciated.

Yes, Blender has a good obj importer, so you can definitely take the sculpt in and work on it in Blender. You might also look at retopology and baking as well so that you can animate the end result more easily.

I downloaded it and started tinkering with it, definitely more than impressed!

With the new Sketchbook forum section, you might open one and start showing your experimentation as you go, might even get some valuable tips from others that see it.

I think I might do that.

I think sculptris is good. But when i export to blender. The curve is very complex, and that’s make my blender run in laggy.

It’s all preference, but I find the capabilities to hop between traditional modeling and Blenders sculpting mode with the single click of a button gold worth!

I’ve been using Sculptris for awhile. My major issue with it is the fact that it keeps crashing. Maybe that’s just a Mac issue, but still. Very annoying. The only thing I can say is that it does recover well. I’m hoping that as I get more in to Blender, I will need Sculptris less.

I’ve got a script that makes going from Blender to Sculptris (and back again, OR first to MeshLab for decimation, and THEN back to Blender) as quick as the click of a button :slight_smile: