RE:Array For 2.7 (Proximal Influence New!)

Hi All,

I was playing around with converting some old 2.49 code from my Discovery Channel Effect exploration. RE:Array is the result of this meddling, consider it an alpha release. RE:Array manages a 2D array of cubes with each face of the cube being mapped to a portion of an image. When the cubes rotate around to the top they form the complete image.

Browse directly to images files on your disk from the RE:Array panel. Change the cube Size to force a reload of all images after you browse. NOTE: Only non-relative pathing is supported so if you see no images (denoted by yellow cubes) in your render you may need to re-browse to the image and turn off Relative Pathing. Images are a ‘Go’ when you see green cubes.

There is an automatic animation tool on the right side of the panel or you can directly control the cube rotation for transition effects.

USAGE:
Drop the rearray folder into the addons folder for your Blender build. Built on 2.67b and tested on 2.68RC1. Activate the AddOn which shows up under View3D > Add > Mesh > RE:Array. Select the RE:Array object and play with the controls under the Object Context.

Attachments

Very Nice! Thanks Atom.
have a good day.
Spirou4D

I added a new feature set to the RE:Array Addon. Support for Proximal Objects. Post #1 has the updated AddOn. When the proximal object is within range of the RE:Array grid the proximal influence will be relayed to the affected grid participants. Three proximal slots are available. Each slot affects one of the three LOC/ROT/SCALE. You can also combine proximal influence along with automatic wizard generated animation. The proximal influence is mapped to the delta_location and delta_euler_rotation. The wizard panel animates location and euler_rotation.

A proximal object is just an Empty that you move across the grid. Type it’s name into the proximal influence field.

Here you can see the influence of an Empty in the rotation slot affecting the grid as it passes by.

Attachments

Hi Atom,
thanks but with 2.68a as soon as I add the mesh gives me:
rearray> reviewReArray
rearray> unlinkReArray: Old Array Size (0, 0) New Array Size (1, 1).
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/home/es/.config/blender/2.68/scripts/addons/rearray/ui.py”, line 286, in execute
install_rearray(self, context)
File “/home/es/.config/blender/2.68/scripts/addons/rearray/ui.py”, line 272, in install_rearray
reviewReArray(context.scene)
File “/home/es/.config/blender/2.68/scripts/addons/rearray/events.py”, line 588, in reviewReArray
makeArrayOfCubes (scene, ob, entry, lst_paths)
File “/home/es/.config/blender/2.68/scripts/addons/rearray/events.py”, line 369, in makeArrayOfCubes
source_name = ob_cube_source.name
AttributeError: ‘NoneType’ object has no attribute ‘name’

with 2.67b
rearray> reviewReArray
reviewLOCProximal Added to drivers namespace.
reviewROTProximal Added to drivers namespace.
reviewSCALEProximal Added to drivers namespace.
rearray> unlinkReArray: Old Array Size (0, 0) New Array Size (1, 1).
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/home/es/.config/blender/2.67/scripts/addons/rearray/ui.py”, line 286, in execute
install_rearray(self, context)
File “/home/es/.config/blender/2.67/scripts/addons/rearray/ui.py”, line 272, in install_rearray
reviewReArray(context.scene)
File “/home/es/.config/blender/2.67/scripts/addons/rearray/events.py”, line 588, in reviewReArray
makeArrayOfCubes (scene, ob, entry, lst_paths)
File “/home/es/.config/blender/2.67/scripts/addons/rearray/events.py”, line 368, in makeArrayOfCubes
ob_cube_source = returnSystemCube(entry.cube_size)
File “/home/es/.config/blender/2.67/scripts/addons/rearray/events.py”, line 66, in returnSystemCube
bpy.ops.mesh.primitive_cube_add(radius=size, view_align=False, enter_editmode=False, location=(0.0, 0.0, 0.0), rotation=(0, 0, 0), layers=(True, False, False, False, False, False, False, False, False, False, False, False, False, False, False, False, False, False, False, False))
File “/media/store1/es/Local/3D/blender/blender-2.67b-linux-glibc211-x86_64/2.67/scripts/modules/bpy/ops.py”, line 188, in call
ret = op_call(self.idname_py(), None, kw)
TypeError: Converting py args to operator properties: : keyword “radius” unrecognized

@elaser: Hmm…
I just pulled down the posted version if the AddOn and gave it a try. On my Windows 7 64bit system running the official 2.68 release it seems to work.

What OS are you running?

PS: This AddOn may not be backwards compatible to 2.67 (haven’t tested).

Attachments

Hi Atom,how to get this addon?

Hi. looking good. Where is Download link?

Hello !!!

I am very interested in this addon, but… I can’t see any download link :frowning: Do you know where we can download it ?

Thank you for your help !!!

It looks like the download link for this add-on has been gone since at least 2015 and the author hasn’t been on blenderartists in a quite a while so I think you may be out of luck on this one.

If it’s any consolation, it should be possible to produce a similar effect using Animation Nodes.