Philips MSX VG-8020 - A look at our digital past

It’s been thirty years since Microsoft and ASCII jointly introduced the MSX standard to the world. Although mostly successful in Japan, some European manufacturers adhered to the standard as well, the best known of them all being Philips. Their VG-8020 MSX was a popular computer in the mid-eighties european market. It was marketed to schools everywhere as a powerful learning tool, and that’s how my school bought a dozen of them, along with a standard setup of Philips green phosphor monitors and tape recorders. Learning Basic programming language on those machines was my very first computing experience.

I have been intermittently working on this project for some months. It’s been an exercise in patience, mostly because I obsessed myself with reproducing all items in it as faithfully as possible. That might seem pointless, since many of those details can’t be appreciated in this scene, but I wanted my assets to be reusable for a future project.

Every single object was modeled with Blender. All renders in this thread have been created with Cycles.

Here are some detailed renders for each of the devices in the scene:

• Philips MSX VG-8020

• Philips Green Monochrome Monitor VS-0040

• Philips Tape Recorder NMS-1515

Wow :smiley:
I still have the MSX 1 and 2 :slight_smile: Though the tape-recorder has parts missing it still works :smiley:

Nice renders

Funny thing about this is that I never got to actually own any MSX (everything here was modeled using just reference pictures from around the web). I only got to work with the ones we had at school, but I do have very fond memories of these machines. They were remarkable devices when compared to other 8-bit home computers of their generation such as the Spectrum or the Amstrad CPC.

great model :slight_smile: - you should rock some Gradius on the monitor :stuck_out_tongue:

Thank you. I just might. :wink:

That’s great.
I was a commodore and a bit after an amstrad user. Basic etc. In 86 I became a dos user though.
Green phosphor sceens… wow.

I always envied one of my neighbours for having a Commodore Amiga 500, a powerful and wonderful machine, and so much ahead of its time. A true multimedia machine even before the multimedia concept existed. Even after DOS machines became common household computers I kept thinking I was missing out on something amazing for not owning an Amiga. Ah, the memories…

Same boat too, begging my father to get me an Amiga 500. He got me an Amstrad CPC 6128 , green screen monitor. Got my iMac 7 years ago as a revenge :smiley:

I still consider Amiga 500 the best computer ever , though I am being told future Amigas were even much better.

Great modeling and I really like your materials as well. :slight_smile:
How did you do the flickering on the monitor?

LOL! Begging for an Amiga 500 and getting an Amstrad CPC with a green monitor instead. I feel your pain… I got a nameless IBM PC clone. More powerful and versatile, but a real pain for the eyes with its CGA colors. At least the CPC had an attractive color palette, even if the chunky sprites looked like the grand daddies of Minecraft.

Actually, the Amiga 500 was the low budget version of the Amiga line up, tuned down to make it affordable for a wider market. It was released along the Amiga 2000, the high end version wich targeted professional users. Being a lot cheaper than its high-end brothers is what made the Amiga 500 so popular in Europe. That, and being visually and audibly stunnig for the time. :stuck_out_tongue:

Thank you. :slight_smile: Since this is a still render, I’m not sure what you mean by “flickering”. I’m guessing you might be referring to the moire pattern in the screen, since someone else asked about that already in deviantART. The pattern is caused by the screen texture and the slight surface curvature. The texture was generated by grabbing a screenshot of OpenMSX emulator running the original VG-8020 bios.

Really nice materials and models

oh and I forgot to add thats a great render

LOL. Thank you so much. :slight_smile:

If you make an Amiga 500 , then you will be THE DUDE. In any case , this is my new wallpaper. I had a big boobs chick , but this is way sexier.

Now you are making me blush. I can’t promise anything concerning the Amiga 500, but I must confess it’s a very attractive idea. :slight_smile:

my bad I had Andromeda Galaxy as wallpaper, but she is a big hot chick too anyway.

Yeah no rush, add to the list, do it when you feel like it. My new wallpaper is your render :slight_smile:
You know I just had this idea of an Amiga 500 hooked up to futuristic gear like the pumped up Delorean in Back To The Future, like a space ship of some sort.

Wow, nice work Juan. How did you make the texture for the smudges on the keyboard? Looks so good…