Automatic walk cycle in Blender.

I discovered a way to simulate walking in Blender without pose library :eyebrowlift:. But it still has some problems :(. Post here for advice.

1st Video

2nd Video

alexanderLee_riggedWoman_Wlk 3-2 - Copia.blend (1.2 MB)

Ha… LOL! that’s pretty cool…
Looks like you have a Driver on the “Y” channel… maybe connected to the foot controllers I’m geussin?

If you want to become good at animation, one of the subjects you must study is walk cycle. Walk cycle express character. No one walks the same way. State of mind affects how you walk. What is happy walk? What is sad walk? Today I was looking at the women with heels. They don’t come down on there heals as they walk. If they do, they will break the heel or ankle! Child don’t really walk, they hop. Animation is complicated.

That looks very promising!

What’s the next step? :wink:

This is really nice! i can see myself using this. You can use this a as a base walk and then make changes to get all types of walk cycles. Since this is not a project and therefore a release date does not apply, what is your plan with this? are you gonna explain to us how you did it or you just posting a random video. I couldn’t understand anything from the video.

Post here for advice.

Yes… I agree with the others… start telling us how you did this… maybe if we get several heads to thinking about it we can get it work out…

I removed the attachment because I was making some adjustments trying to fix some problems. But this proved to be quite complicated. So now posted a version with a few changes.
Uses the same principle of “Procedural Animation” of McHammond: http://www.mchammond.com/home/showcase/25.html

I’m not satisfied with my final result, so I wanted to see the work of other people using different ways for the same purpose (automatic walk cycle). Drives, Pyton Scripts, Game Engine, whatever.

Added a new video in the description and a new attachment
“Rigged Female Figure” by AlexanderLee
Released under Creative Commons Attribution, Share Alike 3.0
Downloaded from “http://www.blendswap.com/blends/view/57706

I am 100% confused but amazed at the same time o:
I really loved how in the 2nd video there was a moment it went from walking to actually strafing sideways. Not putting one foot on the otherside and crossing its legs but actually bringing one foot to the other and then the other out.

This looks like complicated stuff i’ll never understand but if this is some sort of add on your making(?) then i would definitely be able to use it even just as for a basic structure of a walk to improve on after keyframing or saving time on making background characters walk : )

You really have something amazing here :stuck_out_tongue:

If i may suggest, and remembering that i don’t know how hard it was for you to make this, just a sugestion but i noticed you were moving the rig along a Shift+Z axis of motion. Perhaps with the including of the Z axis, bringing it down could make more of a crouched sneaking sort of walk and a higher maybe more of a tip toe motion or a jump : )

again, really cool! really interested :wink:

Thanks Razc, I intend to add some functions yet, such walking over a landscape and run, but do not want to complicate things even more.