Conway's Game of Life

For those of you who haven’t heard of it.

Just threw it together in some free time. It’s not much of a “game” in the normal sense of video games, but it’s fun to mess around with none the less.

Controls
WASD: Move camera
Left Shift: Increase camera speed
Space: Unpause/pause the simulation (the game starts out paused)
R: Randomize cells
F: Manually step forward the simulation (only while paused)
-/=: Decrease/increase simulation speed
Mouse Wheel: Zoom in/out
Left Click: Toggle a cell
ESC: Quit game

One other note: it makes use of Python’s multiprocessing module since I would experience significant slow down on my computer when running the single threaded version. If you don’t have multiple cores on your machine, you might not benefit from this as much.

The .blend file and .py files are included in the zip along with the exe. Feel free to use and modify them for any purpose. Attribution is not required.

Here’s the download:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/pz5nwxstes1h21w/Game_of_Life.zip

Also, here’s a pretty cool video showing some of the cool stuff you can make (though you’re limited to a 100x100 wrap-around grid in this game version right at the moment)

Have fun making gliders!

Haha nice! Use to mess around with the old conway’s game of life on a 486 back in the stone age. Downloading this.

Nice I have been looking for a example of using multiprocessing module !

Cellular Autonoma are cool :smiley:

This got me thinking, what if a supercomputer simulates this long enough (perhaps with a very clever/powerful genetic algorithm or neural network algorithm at play as well), that extremely complex intelligent organisms develop, start to gain curiosity, question their existence, and conduct scientific experiments…

Maybe if someone can run Blender through a beowulf cluster using many raspberry PI’s or even AMD AM1’s. Then modify the “game” to output behaviors to a log.