Alien Character

The title of the thread may be a bit misleading as the majority of this thread is now about modeling the spaceship for the character (perhaps “Alien Spaceship” would work better). In any case, here is what I have got so far.

Alien:

Spaceship

I like it. people are idiots. I knew this from the day i was born but learned it first hand the day i got my license. I prefer to associate myself with aliens! They are quite clearly smart enough to come to this planet undetected by all but few, show them selves to a select few, probe them, then make them look crazier than the amount of acid they needed to hallucinate the whole encounter in the first place.

Interesting theory. What was the license you received that led to this revelation? :confused:

Well, I’m done for today. I modeled the helmet, gloves and shoes. There are some details that I would like to add to the helmet so it is not quite finished.

I’m also not quite sure about the feet. Would aliens wear toe shoes?

Drivers license. When I was 16. Get taught how to really drive a manual and put in a couple hundred hours and a couple thousand dollars in gas… all it takes is 30 seconds on the road to realize people are idiots. Aliens are cooler anyways. lol. nice model.

Okay, here’s a new render. He looks a bit more ready for action now.

I’ll probably tweak a few things but I should be able to start animating him soon.

Wow, really good looking! :slight_smile: I love the overall shape, very pleasing. And the visor with the hexagon pattern looks really cool.

Alright, I created a simple walkcycle animation following a tutorial. It is currently rendering on my laptop (which could take a while) but I will post it as soon as it is ready.

EDIT: (Now that BlenderArtists is back online) here is the walkcycle animation.

And here is another animation I did of the weapon firing.

I have also created an animation of him picking up the gun and shouldering it. I just need to render it out.

Instead of rendering out the animation of him picking up the gun (which would take a while) I decided to do a quick screen recording of the animation instead.

I am looking for critiques of the animation to get it good before I take the time to render it out. I am starting to feel a bit more comfortable with using blenders animation system, but I still need to work on making my animations more lifelike, which only comes with time and practice.

I think the alien should have a darker green… just a tiny bit darker. To me it seems a tiny bit too bright. Other than my knitpicking it looks great!

Thanks. I will play around with the materials. I found a way to fix the material shifting that you can see in the walkcycle animation.

The thing that is holding me back right now is the render times. I can create an animation but it takes an hour to render one second of animation (24 frames) in 480p. I also need an idea for a short animation to put him in, preferably 10 seconds at most.

I have started work on a pose library that I can use when animating him. I also made some changes to the rig which forced me to reanimate the walkcycle.

I really like the materials on your character, it looks very esthetic ,great work!.

Well, I decided that I might as well create a spaceship to give him some way of getting around. (and spaceships are fun to model).

Still a work-in-progress. (needs more greebles)

Nice modeling and rendering!

Enjoying this wip. short animation idea? loading the ship maybe, just a thought.
and i see your still playing with the materials, just wondering if cutting back on the
gloss on the second image in this thread would help bring out the texture a bit.

This is awesome! i love the style, and your animations look smooth very natural to me (as natural as a stylized alien can be XD)

Could you please post a little bit more about how you did the materials? like your node set up, or whether you rendered in Cycles, or BI? how did you do the material for the clothing (the detail in the material looks fantastic!) and also how did you get that effect in the glass for the helmet?

Great work!

Thanks. Everything is rendered using cycles. Here is my node setup for the clothing:

The blue parts of the suit are the same setup with just the color node set to blue instead of black. I used a texture from cgtextures for the scratches and created my own repeating hexagon texture.
Here is the node setup for the helmet:

I unwrapped the helmet using “project-from-view”. The helmet glass has thickness to it and the hexagon texture is applied to both sides which gives it a cool 3d effect.
I used the same hexagon texture as in the clothing just scaled differently.
Here is the hexagon texture I used:

Adding in some greebles.

I need to work on the front and back of the ship and finish the landing gear. Then I will start working on the interior. I will also do some texturing and possibly rigging so that I can animate it in the future.

Here is the first clay render of the ship. Still need to add greebles and panels around the front and back of the ship and on the wings.

EDIT: Here is another of the front.

I got the landing gear blocked out and rigged and created a test animation.

This is really cool. I like this one