Jordi

This is my last project, the portrait of a friend of mine.
All it’s done with Blender, no image postproduction, just Blender composition.
The model is partially rigged (torso, neck, head and eyes)
Cycles render.
Hope you like it and waiting for feedbacks…
I love Blender!

[updated: changes about AlinB feedback already done]
double click to enlarge full frame…

Brilliant work, decamino! I cannot say how accurate the likeness is, of course, but you’ve clearly done a terrific job of creating a lifelike model! I’m very impressed by this!

The eyes are full of life, the texturing looks great, the lighting and the hair all look very good.

I feel like there are some things that I cannot put my finger on that could be improved. You have many good details in here, the end result is terrific. Have you shown your friend your results yet?

Very realistic portrait! Great job, no crits here!

Thanks James, Ristesekuloski.
It was a very funny work indeed.
James, I showed the portrait and liked it so much (I’d give him a good print of it nice framed) but he think it’s so serious :slight_smile:

Truly amazing work. I cant say almost anything wrong about it. :) From the distance it looks a bit like a toy though.. so.. I still have some ideas but Im not sure how much this will improve your image:
-> make the specular less saturated and sharper
-> make the white of the eye darker
-> uncheck the close tip checkbox on the beard particles and add a slightly smaller value than the base. Also reduce the normal a bit.
-> add cloth. It`s always good to do such a thing at busts. Even a simple t-shirt works. Cause out brain fills the gap and thinks that he is naked which is a bit odd.

Anyways, your image is really cool. I hardly can get close to this when it comes to human face realism. :slight_smile:
Cheers & keep it up!

Edit: If I cover his eyes, I can`t say whether he is cg or real.

Thanks for your feedback and critics AlinB! (I’m starting to work on it)

I’ll try this desaturation of the specular layer, it will be fine for sure!
The eye issue it was there previously but, I dont know why, I lost it in the process. In fact, if you see, the head of the right have darker eyes already… I’ll bring it back!
Close check is unchecked but with close side to 0! I’ll increase this value, it’ll be better for sure!
Cloth. I’m not sure about it, I like this kind of “crudity” of natural fleshy thing. Will try indeed…

Two more images:

Jordi in wireframe:

And a “Work in action!” one:

Thanks & regards.

Hey,
I`m glad I helped somehow. :slight_smile:
You have an good topology too. Really pro stuff overall.

Really love the texturing. I think it has a very realistic feel to it. The expression shows a bit of confusion as if “Where did the rest of me go” I love it.

Amazing!
I love it.
Excellent work.

Thanks Tainted, michalis!

I’m glad you like it.

Here is another pose:

very good
thanks

really good sculpting. also hair and beard very convicing. skin, more sss would be good i think, it looks a little plastic. great work!

Amazing piece!
From the sculpt to the Blender composition and everything inbetween just great.
Congrats!

I think this is one of the best portraits I have seen in 3d, he has caracter well done.

Perfect, except the hair which is a little powdery, some sharper specularity could improve them.
Edit, also, one could find the bump map slightly too sharp and with a very slight blur add a little grease to the whole.

This looks brilliant! Are you using subsurface scattering?

Outstanding work man!!I have nothing else to say.

how did you managed to retopologize this in Blender ?

By the way I like the pose of the 3rd shot the most ( from left to right ), it’s really life-like.

Thanks to all of you!

Doris, thanks a lot for your feedback. About skin… I feel the opposite, I think, maybe, it’s to much fleshy. Dont know. I tried many combinations and this was the most realistic (in my point of view) Thanks a lot btw!

I will try your suggestions. Thanks a lot!

Yes, of course! Cycles it’s awesome and SSS shader its ease to use and give fantastics results…

It’s all hand made with a lot of work… I’d start with a polysphere (cube with subdiv mod on it) to get a nice top of the head and neck topology and I use this kind of sphere as a part of the retopo model a lot.
I use a lot LoopTools (What an amazing tool!) and Bridge Edge Loops too.
But in Blender, handmade work it’s a premise.

Nice work! the eyes are really good. And I don’t know exactly what it is with the beard but it looks amazing and super realistic.

When the SSS shader is GPU enabled (next version) I am going to give a go at the human face and realistic skin material too. 5*