After. . .

Here is my render. “After. . .”
I’m re-rendering it so that it doesn’t have the speckles, but I wanted to make sure I got it on here.
It is an entry into the BlenderNation weekend contest, so I did it between yesterday and today.

Your comments are, as always, appreciated.

It looks good, the two issues that stand out to me are the sewer grate that has the same tone of grey as the sidewalk and the edge of the sidewalk itself.

Maybe you could “fix” the grate by making it a reddish brown. The side of the sidewalk could have another material attached to it that is the same as the top of the sidewalk but with the projection facing in and out instead of up and down like the top. This will get rid of that layered look that it has.

I’ve found that setting Clamp to either 1 or 2 works well for keeping ‘fireflies’ under control. You can find it under Sampling in the render settings.

You could also try using an alpha mask on the graffiti to vary the ‘thickness’ of the paint at different spots so that it doesn’t have that perfect CG looks to it.

Thanks for the suggestions. I’ve never done anything with alpha masking, so if you could maybe point point me to some info on that, that would be awesome. I’ve already re-rendered it, but I will try and make the grate a little bit different from the sidewalk in the next render.

I do know that my door has some issues as well, and I will try to work on that in the next revision.

Here is the 2nd render

Overall, I really like this. The modeling is great.

But. it is missing that one thing that makes it more real…dirt. The graffiti is too clean and the concrete is very clean also. It needs a bit of girt and dirt feel to it.