Happy...2013

Hello everyone!
Happy holidays!
A year ago I had created a video/animation for the 2013 New Year’s Eve. Even if it is outdated, I thought I would share it.

External References: Textures are from cgtextures.com. Music is “He Forges Mighty Armour” (http://ccmixter.org/files/admiralbob77/39171) by Admiral Bob and it’s licensed under Creative Commons Attribution Noncommercial 3.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/3.0/).

Everything was made in Blender 2.64. It took me about 20 days. I experimented for the first time with shape keys and sculpting for the ice melting and also with fire simulations, as well as with drivers. I definitely learned a lot from this project.

Any comments and questions are welcome!

-Jonathan

Attachments

This project took me 23 todays in total to complete. The modelling, scupting and “shape key”-ing took me about four days. The shading and texturing took me around two days. The smoke/fire simulation took me about three days. The animating took me about two days. The compositing took me around one day. The cycles rendering (everything but the fire) took sixteen hours and twenty minutes for 328 frames and 423385 vertices, which was about five minutes per frame. The blender internal rendering (only the fire simulation volumetric) took two hours and forty three minutes for 174 frames, which was about two minutes per frame. These two renders were in OpenEXR Multilayer format for further control in compoisting. Then the composite and edit rendering took three hours and fourteen minutes, which was around thirty seconds per frame, and was in Quick Time format H264.

By the way, for the lighting, there were no lamps in the scene, only global illumination from an HDR equirectangular.

I will be posting some test renders soon.

-Jonathan

One of my first tests of an ice shader, no textures used, but with sculpting:

The version of the shader I liked, with a texture:

The final version of the shader:

-Jonathan

Some viewports of fire simulations tests I did (at the beginning the 2012 was supposed to be on fire):

An early test/experiment I did to understand the fire simulation engine:

Towards the end, a vortex force is activated.

-Jonathan

At first I experimented with black smoke but I didn’t like the result, so I decided to colour it blue-ish.
At the end I also added subtle heat distortion.

-Jonathan

Throughout the whole project I experimented with the depth of field a lot, here are some of the tests:

By the way, Happy New Year to everyone!

-Jonathan

(These water melting states aren’t exactly like in the final.)

-Jonathan