Using Textures to Dictate Hair Density in Cycles

In the old Blender Internal engine it was possible to use image textures to tell the particle system where to put hair strands. I’ve found how to do that in Blender 2.69 with Cycles, but as soon as I add the texture to determine the density, the hair stops rendering. It still apears in the viewport.

I have included several screenshots that I think provide some relevant settings.

Any ideas you have would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

A simple test scene in 2.69 with cycles

Texture used to control hair density

Rendered result

Maybe you should supply your blend file so others can check where you may be going wrong

I’ve wanted to do this, where are you setting the density image texture in the particle settings Richard? Can you post the blend, or show how you did it.

blenderaliday,
after you have set up hair particles, go to the textures panel, select the particles icon on the header and choose or make a texture.
Then you can select the proper influence that the texture will have over the hair: density, length and so on.

paolo

Example blend file attached

Render result

Hair density texture

Attachments

cycles_hair_texture.blend (166 KB)

Here is the blend. I included the Brow Density image in the archive too. Is it possible that it’s not working because I have the density refined by vertex groups AND texture?

Attachments

Woman Blend for BA.zip (1.56 MB)

Cool idea , works excellent with particle system for plants and trees .
(ecosystems distributie controlled by a texture )