Have tried using particle grass but
keeps crashing and crashing. Using
win32. Tried installing Ubuntu hoping
that would fix it but could not get
Ubuntu into a 700 meg cd disk so
i gave up.

think it needs more light coming though the bushes
otherwise a very nice start

You’ll need a DVD or USB flashdrive to install UbuntuStudio nowadays.

Particles beat up on the hardware pretty intensely. You could try creating small clumps of grass and using those as particles instead of individual blades and see if you can make that work. You’ll still have to tweak it so you don’t get regular patterns in there, however.

Greenery seems a bit monotone. I’d tweak the greens a bit more between different plants.

Tree trunk should be grayer, methinks.

Do you have an image-map for the background?

I second the recommendation for light filtering through the leaves. May want to play with making the leaves more translucent. I think BlenderGuru has some pretty decent nature tuts that may illuminate that idea, IIRC.

Otherwise - it looks like an unkempt… hedge. Which seems to be the idea. :slight_smile:

Tree could be browner, leaves need translucency or something along those lines… could use a different color to reduce the overall greenness, maybe add in some stepping stones or a more organized pathway? If you are just modeling plants, looks great. How did you make the tall grass? If it was a hair sim, why can’t you do it with the shorter grass?

Yes, I have to make many adjustments to the each object
and materials in the scene.

Yes, i need to get a DVD.
Have to burn the downloaded iso into an image.
Was hoping to burn it into a portable harddrive
but couldn’t find a way of doing that.

The tall grass was made with Fiber203. Its an
old script that was used for Blender 2.26 to 2.32.

Here’s a render of the tall grass made with Fiber203.
There is also particle grass made with Blender Cycles.

The fist image was edited with Paint.Net editor.
Would be nice to have an editor like that for
Cycles.

david57 > If you want a bootable external ubuntu drive you could use unetbootin to write the image to the drive, then you can boot it and install ubuntu.

love the projects make more :eyebrowlift:

Thanks Cube,
Ill try unetbootin.

This looks like a good Color Management + Composite SetUp.

Looks very promising.
Latest render looks a bit dry, but maybe that’s what you were after.

You’re welcome david :)I do quite like the compositor setup, the only thing that bothers me with this image is that there is a definite dark square around the plant and it’s much too dark to look nice, it takes away from the overall image quite a lot

Here’s a try with Mitsuba Renderer.
Its a very fast renderer and very nice materials but
they are to dark compared to the diffused material.
It looks like the renderer needs tuning up.

Another Mitsuba render.
Checking for Translucency and SSS.
Sun shinning from behind the plant.
There are a few fireflies.
It renders very fast.
What i can render in 1 1/2 minutes with Mitsuba
it takes me about an hour or more with Cycles.

The leaves on the tress in the back ground need a
leaf texture. I haven’t figured out how to do that.

I placed a metal ball on the side and fire flies poped
up.

I see you’re still working on perfecting your plant rendering skills, talk about patience and persistence ;).

Some of these are starting to look quite good, but you are aware that you can render the strands used for the bush as smooth curves or higher-resolution segments, right?

Also, is there any reason why you can’t use a USB drive to fit Ubuntu Linux onto, those things go up to 16 or even 32 gigabytes now?

I have successfully installed Ubuntu 13.10 on my usb drive. Blender is much faster on Ubuntu!

Try to install Ubuntu Installer on usb using Universal USB Installer and then install it on your PC or Notebook or Tablet

How large are you planning on rendering those trees? At the distance you’re rendering them now, they look pretty good. They could use maybe a bit more color variation between individual leaves, but they’re looking pretty good now in the small pictures you’ve posted.

Are you planning to focus on Mitsuba or Cycles?

BTW, there are Ubuntu mini-cd images - 64 bit amd64 ISO is 36 megs. It has just enough to load the text-based installer and a network connection, which it uses to download packages out of the repository. I’ve never tried it, but I usually do something similar when I install Debian (which I don’t recommend for Blender until they update their PNG libraries or unless you have experience compiling complex software).

Seeing @enricoceric renders encourged me to continue rendering.
Here’s a practice run with an old cycles file.

It would be nice to see the continuation of this project in Cycles.

As someone else suggested, this could really do with some translucency or better yet some scatter.

Here’s a Cycles re render.
500 Samples.
Some errors on leaves.

Looking good, but it is a bit strange to see so many dark blotches in the foliage on what looks like a bright sunny scene in your current render. You could maybe try increasing the size of your sun to make it so the smaller leaves don’t cast such sharp shadows.