okay... did you know gtkradiant to unity

okay… i had some problems, i managed to fix em with some google searching… i thought i wouldnt be able to find my answers, it took a couple hours…
i did alot of call of duty mapping :slight_smile:
but, did you know you can export from gtkRadiant 1.5 to .obj, to blender, to .obj , to Unity :slight_smile:
its sped up the time to make simple houses for my project… (cause i have gtkRadiant experience, gtkRadiant has a quick grid snapping, and you can basically draw cubes to the grid and copy really easy… but you’re kind of stuck to the grid, okay for my usage)

it requires you to flip normals, and to automerge all the vertices in blender though :slight_smile:

HowTo:

- use gtkRadiant 1.5 (has brushexport 2 )

- select all the “brushwork” you want to export (i read “patches” dont work)
(in gtkRadiant, you can draw a box around everything you want to select and click “select inside”)

• gtkRadiant -> "plugins, brushexport 2, export as obj, “collapse”

• .obj -> import to blender

• automerge all the vertices, flip all normals
    (all solid geometry, each face will be turned into a plane, and the planes seem to be inverted for me)

• export to .obj

the scale of gtkRadiant is 1: 1 Blender, so you might have to rescale it.

In edit mode, does [A] to select all, then menu bar ‘Mesh’ > ‘Normals’ > ‘Flip Normals’ do what you want?

yeah, i got my problems sorted…

By automerge vertices, do you mean remove doubles?

im not sure… im not sure what remove doubles does, does it just delete? or does it merge aswell?

because when you output from gtkRadiant, every cubical solid is turned into planes… every face is its own plane, instead of being solid walls, but the vertices are all in the correct position,

for me, by turning on “automerge editing” and turning on the snap, to vertices (magnet icon) and i move the whole structure a little, it turns all the planes back into the walls i want,
but the planes seem all facing the wrong direction, inside out… so then, W, “flip normals” corrects that.

Yes, remove doubles merges vertices together (in edit mode hit “w” and select “remove doubles” with everything selected). You can also then shade everything smooth (again, in edit mode with everything selected hit “w” and choose shade smooth) and then add an edge-split modifier so that if you have any arches they’ll be smooth shaded.