The Power of Glove

Update: 16th April 03:55

Finished some more characters.
Arena Still not polished enough to show.
Worked out the Story.
written guidlines for enviroment, gameplay and enemies.

Update: 15th March 01:24 PM

This is also the 3rd Day where i actually had time to work on this. I won’t be able to finish the game until the BGMC 12 Deadline, because i won’t have time to work on this project the next days. So i changed it to a regular BGE WIP Thread.

• The game title was changed from ‘BGMC | Puppy Boxing’ to ‘The Power of Glove’
  • I will continue on this project but it may take 1-2 months until it’s finished.
  • I now have a complete new unique gameplay, which will remain as a secret until it’s polished.
  • There are now 4 diffrent Boxers and i plan to add 1 or 2 more.

For the Finished Game i will also add:

• Complete Low Poly Stadium
  • Ring Announcer Character
  • Crowd (Very low poly or Billboard)
  • Music and Sound
  • Detailed Ring with accessories (stool, bucket, aso)
  • In Game Intro and Credits (to give credit to the Artists from their files i used, like music, sounds, aso)
  • Game Interface (Character Selection Screen, Main Menu, Pause Menu)
  • Storyline (!?), yeah really there will be a bit Story :-D.

Update: 13th March 10:38 AM

• Now turn animations work correctly (just walkcycle for now).
  • 1024px texture switched with 512px
  • You can Now Pause with the P-Key
  • The Red Opponent now randomly fires some punches
  • The Spot Lights are now twice as bright as before (it was pretty dark)

Gameplay relevant Inputs:
W, A, S, D, P, Left-Click, Right-Click

Next:

• Build Collision Detection
  • Build Health Bar
  • Improve Ring (and later maybe Arena)

BGMC | Puppy Boxing

Origin Opening Post:

I actually recognized this very late but i will still try to build my game for this contest :-).

My Plan is to build a handful of characters (2-5). They will be anthropomorphic animals put into the olympic boxing outfit.
To save some time they will share the same base body and will just have diffrent heads and textures (this way i will be able to keep the same animations and Rig for all of them).

So later this day i will build the characters.

depending on how much time is left i will also build a simple stadium and maybe a crowd watching the match.

I am not quiet sure with the gameplay now. I will test which one i will be able to build, but it could be like Punch Out (NES) or Street Fighter (SNES) or we will see :-D.

good luck!

For fighting or other sports, I would get the sounds HERE

thanks for that hint :-D.
i recently finished the very base of the character(s)

The brown part will get an fur texture which i have to paint now. i also need the gloves, head protection and the heads.

Head Protection and Gloves are done. Now i only need to build the heads (which will take most of the time i guess). also a very basic of the boxing ring in the background.

Nice work, cerfribar!

alright, the first head is now finished. It’s supposed to be bunny like btw hehe. i slightly increased the gloves and also increased the head protection. i increased the area of the head protection forehead area so i can put the olympia logo onto it. overall i am happy with the head. the topology is awful, but i don’t plan to build facial animations, so it will be fine :p. 4354 Poly now.
next i will build a rig for him.

it took a while but now i built the basic rig for him. I also changed his facial expression to sleepy/bored. I used a total of 21 bones for the whole character. as you can see i only use 1 bone for the whole head, so i will set up the general facial expression only once manual.
The Polycount was slightly reduced to 4222.

The character models really great , good luck with the contest.

When i see thing like this I feel a bit discouraged about my options in the competition :slight_smile: Nice work man.

Thank you for your Kind words. i really hope i dont mess up the gameplay :-D. i am not really experienced with the BGE.
I finished the texture for now. I used 1 specular color at 256x256 and a diffuse at 512x512. together they are about 200 KB. I also changed the colors a bit and added the Olympia Rings onto the Helmet (yeah i think from now on i call it just helmet hehe)
I also improved the deformations (weight paint) and reduced the Polycount once again to 4190 now.
Next:

• build the animations and try to blend them with Game Logic Nodes(?!)
  • Improve the boxing ring
  • build a simple interface
  • And maybe add more characters (will be at the very end, i have to see how much time is left)

I would get started on gameplay now, and work on more characters on the side.

Yeah i really should and i really did :eyebrowlift:.
Nothing special this far. I built a simple lighting setup with the Boxing Ring. It’s more like to test the controls. still a bit buggy. I accidently used a 1024px texture for the red Boxer.
(please don’t press W or S together with a mouse button; he will go nuts)
(and don’t Hold A and press left and right mouse button, really)

The Controls Are:
W = Walk Forward
S = Walk Backwards
D = Turn Right (animation not linked)
A = Turn Left
Left Mouse Button = Punch Left
Right Mouse Button = Punch Right

And here is the Blend File with packed textures:
First Puppy Boxing Demo

I am still not sure with the gameplay, so the controls could also change in next update :yes:
I am also currently using some IKs, but i think i will bake the animations to the base RIG and use more blending animations.

I played the demo, and I would recommend using motion actuators for movement and the action for animation, and make it stop all motion actuators when the mouse button is clicked, this might fix your ‘going nuts’ problem :wink:

As i also announced in the Updated Opening Post, i won’t be able to finish the game for the BGMC 12.
But this project will remain as a regular BGE Project, which will be finished some day :-).
Someday Next week i will Post some images of the Arena, which is now not finished.
For now i finished a few more characters. They now have a Flag on their Chest (i picked japan, austria, germany and russia, because they where easy to mirror on the texture)
They are all between 4.000 - 4.400 Poly.
The Boar has a more detailed Head Mesh compared to the others , but it was also quiet difficult to get the nose and chin into the right shape.

From left to right the are:
Bunny (Rabbit), Horse (or Camel?!), Boar and Wolf (or Dog?!).

Too bad you can’t finish it in time. I hope to see this game become a finished project one day!

Hey there it’s been a while. I just wanted to let you know that i still work on this project. I just don’t had alot of time, because i was busy with other Projects. I worked out a bit the Story and also continued the work on characters and the stadium.

The Main character will be Hikaru the Rabbit. (Red Outfit)

Background Story:
Hikaru’s whole family died in a awful car accident and only Hikaru survived. Karl the Hippo adopted Hikaru. From childhood on, he trained him the martial arts of “Boxing”. Hikaru becomes heavy weight olympic champion of the world. He marries Asuka.

The Plot:
It’s the year 2525 and Hikaru wants to quit boxing forever, but he joins a final Tournament before he retires. Karl became his Coach and supports him. The Ultimate Olympic Boxing Tournament is in the Grand Boxing Stadium of Kyoto.
Hikaru has to win 3 Fights against Champions from other countries to win the Tournament.
He encounters Dieter the Boar from Germany, Luca the Horse from Austria and finally Boris the Wolf from Russia.
But after he won all the fights, his believed dead Brother Jiro enters the Stage. Jiro lost his arms, legs and his head by the car accident, but he was fully restored by the Ombrilla Corporation.
Jiro thinks it was Hikaru’s fault that their family has died. Jiro kidnapped Asuka (Hikaru’s Wife) and forces him to join a lethal combat.
Hikaru wins the Battle against his Brother. Jiro escapes the Arena with a helicopter.
Jiro takes Asuka and flies to Moon, where the Ombrilla Corporation built a secret Laboratory. Jiro wants to turn Asuka into a Cyborg Rabbit (just like him) so Hikaru has to rescue her as soon as possible.
Hikaru also flies to the Moon, but the Ombrilla Corporation Laboratory Defense System shuts down his Space Shuttle.
Hikaru is seriously wounded, but the fully automated emergency infirmary of the space shuttle could quickly replace his arms and legs with robotic parts. the Space Shuttle crashed a few miles away from the Laboratory, so Hikaru has to fight his way to the Lab.

There is a more but i don’t want to tell the ending or wow moments :p.

Gameplay:
There will be some Ingame Cutscenes to support the Story telling.
There will be 3 Parts, where the gameplay will change.
The first playable part of the Game will be a Simple “Beat em Up” like Street Fighter.
The second Part will be a 2.5 D Jump and Run, where Hikaru will fight his way to the Lab. There will be “Moon Creatures” and some Robotic enemies.
The third Part will be the Boss Encounter, which will take Place in the Lab.

I wrote down some guidelines for the enviroment, gameplay and enemies. It’s a very complex project and i may search for volunteers, when i have more time for this. Since then don’t expect any frequently updates. I do something when i have time :-D.

And Finally Some Screens of other Characters.