Finished : Apartment renovation interiors

The project was a rehab proposal to a 1970’s apartment and the renderings show living, dining and office area - the public spaces of the house. The owner wanted more open and brighter spaces. Walls originally separating the entrance lobby / the dining / the living areas, were torn down and one large space was created - still with a large beam running the length down the middle. The areas were formed by furniture groupings rather than walls.
Light already penetrated far more, with the removal of the separating walls but even more light was added along the perimeter of all spaces.
There is recessed ceiling light along the perimeter - exactly because the client wants bright walls, I incorporated them in the design proposal. They are led tapes hidden from view and indirectly light down the wall through slots.

As shown in section detail below

[ATTACH=CONFIG]290043[/ATTACH]

The camera shots include daylight from windows (bright day), perimeter ceiling lights and chandilier at dining area.

Highlights to walls are given with recessed spotlights.
These exist in areas where there is wall space below to highlight possible paintings or furnishings. (they are on universal joints and can be swivelled)
I have made an emmissive surface that marks each but they have next to none contribution to lighting except for a selected few which have Blender spotlights flooding selected highlights.

Attachments

Here are three more viewpoints

Attachments

And here are the last three

Attachments

Wow! That looks like a lot of work :slight_smile:

I like the lighting in a lot of the pictures and the models are great (is that chesterfield single armchair a free model I can find somewhere?) The bookshelf is really nice also. I’m not sure about the treasure chest though - it seems of low quality and out of place.

Some of the materials could do with tweaking and some of the shots could do with getting rid of some objects e.g. the last shot, those two oddly place chairs and the treasure chest seem strange to me. Is that bronze statue floating? Is the dining room chandelier attached to the ceiling? Lastly, the images are quite noisy and I’d expect them to be cleaner for a commercial project.

Aside from a few details, render quality and interior design tweaks I think you did a really good job!

Marc ,

Thanks for your feedback. In the study room I have combined fine urban textures like the sharp black lacquered bookcase, desklamp, and chairs contrasted with rough earthy textures like the reclaimed wood desktop and the chest. The owner actually posesses a chest he treasures as an antique, it’s a loose repro of that. The artwork on the wall plays the same theme: Bokoros, a local artist (Greek) uses reclaimed wood for his canvases, the lighting effects depicted are actually painted on! On the parque floor is a b/w cowhide carpet.

The torso (in sitting areat) is indeed a sculpture intended to appear floating, in rl construction it would be fixed by a bracket to the wall to appear suspended.

You are right about the noise. Cycles seems to do that for me with complicated lighting scenes. I have gotten rid of the caustic noise, mostly with clamp setting but the grain… More samples (above 400) seems to do next to nothing. One way for a much better result if you render in really high resolution: The pics above are 1920X1920. The one attached to this post is double that and with a mild post processing “Edge Preserve Smooth” filter applied (There is also a little light tweaking for a brighter day/ time of day)

In addition to models made by me I had only been using OpenSource models from BlendSwap, TurboSquid, etc. The ready models are mostly modified and all have materials redone in Cycles. The Chesterfield from Turbosquid. The Bookcase I designed and modelled.

In gratitude to the people sharing models I will also share several pieces of furniture from this scene on swap webpages. To-do list…
Will let you know then if you still want the bookcase.