mega city project

Hello everybody, since a month i have started on a new project of mine. To model in blender a very large city, like the size of chicago or something, however not a existing city but a city from my own imagination and of course inspiration also taken from real buildings. i am planning to make the buildings high detail and all geometry. here are some renders (the renders on this first post will be updated.)

my aim is to have around 300 skyscrapers and perhaps some 1000 or so smaller buildings and houses, the skyscrapers will all be unique buildings so no duplicates. just for the smaller buildings and industrial areas i will use here and there duplicates, but that is also the case in real life cities so i think that is fine. i do not know how long this project will take since i got some other projects going on as well plus a part time job, so progress might be a bit on the slow site, but i will continue to update when i finished a bunch of new buildings. Also since its a WIP i still need to assign the materials properly and add roofdetails and stuff. also the placement and roads are of course not final. also these buildings will be for sale on my turbosquid page. link should be in my signature.
if you are interesting in buying from my turbosquid page, you can also buy directly from me with paypal and get 50 percent discount over the turbosquid prices.

i would love to hear feedback and ideas.
well happy blending :slight_smile:

sorry the last renders was older :o

Woah, looking really good already! Looks like a helluva work tho…

Looking good, really good!

The only thing I would suggest is also a lot of long, flat buildings, like warehouses and supermarkets as well. But you’re probably planning for that anyway :).

That is quite a project your undertaking, looking good so far. I’ll look forward to watching your progress.

It’s hard to really say why, but the middle building on the right, those roof things just look off to my eyes…I can see you were trying to make it more decorative, but not sure that works well.

The spirally buildings look very cool. You may want add a helicopter landing pad on one or two of them.

true i have planned that as well, but first i want to make the skyscrapers and then work my way down.

Harley, you might be right with that building although when i was modelling it it look pretty good, also materials needs to be added, but now i can see it looks a bit out of place in comparison with the rest of the buildings. perhaps if it does not fit it might not make it in the final city who knows.

thanks for the nice comments everyone :slight_smile:

Interesting project…The buildings from the renders look great! You’ll probably need a powerful PC to handle 200 hi-res skyscrapers and 1000 houses. I’ll follow updates on this…Good luck on this project! :slight_smile:

so i added four more skyscrapers marked with a green arrow (does the green arrows indicate that the green arrow hero will jump from these buildings in the future, that is for me to know, for you to find out lol :slight_smile:
anyways, slowly my city is coming along. unfortunately i cannot spend full time on it, damn you day job damn you, o well it pays the bills i guess.

You are right solowy, therefore in the near future i am planning to buy a more powerfull pc, something with over 16gb of ram for sure otherwise i will not be able to render my planned city of around 10 to 15 million polys not including the instances trees and stuff.

I had thought about a project like this after watching the City building tutorial by Andrew Price. Great to see someone go beyond the ‘thinking about it’ stage. I love that staircase looking building.

Mercy. You may blown me out of the water as far creating a city. I haven’t gotten my buildings in yet.

I purposely did not wanted to take the approach of Andrew´s city tutorial, I wanted to aim for far more realism and diversity in terms of buildings, that is why i want to make all the taller and a big part of the smaller buildings unique, like you would see in real life.
This of course take a significant amount of time to complete such a city, perhaps more then six months or so. but when it is finished the amount of projects one can use such a city in is huge. also i did a big city modelling project before this, the lower manhattan project, which took around a year to make, so i guess i am in the thinking big mind frame, i am just really excited about the future project i can use this city for, so many stories can happen in this city, so many alien invasions :slight_smile: of course it will be a long time before those animated shorts in this city will happen, perhaps some years i would guess.

XeroShadow, i think the key to succes with such a big project is just one building at a time. step by step and when you keep walking (and you don´t delete any buildings) then eventually you will have your city.

Nice render, I think adding some more color or lighting will bring out the details in the buildings even more but overall nice work!

thanks, actually its still WIP the buildings still need roof details and and the street layout and the buildings layout is not final also and the buildings do not have their final colors yet, my plan is to first model the buildings and then put it all together but very diffirently from what it is now.

Great work! Looking forard to the end result

I assume buildings need texture too… if you dont intended them to by this white. I like overall concept of this wip and looking forward for final render.

I think i will add texture in the future, but i will start with materials first, but when i do add texture it will be mostly tiled textures based, since when it will be finished unwrapping a thousand or so buildings is probably one of my worst nightmares :stuck_out_tongue:

As soon as I saw this project, I thought it may have been created by the same person as the other city project you mentioned. That came out great. And it looks like you’re going to have a great success again, too. And unwrapping that many buildings is certainly a challenge. Looking forward to updates.

Looks like a great start. I look forward to watching your progress. Seems to be quite an undertaking. I hope you have a beefy computer.

I once tried to make a city. One thing that I would consider adding to your buildings, is stuff such as AC units, and satellite dishes, that sit on the rooftops. other things to consider making, are fire hydrants, vehicles, dumpsters, etc.