Why is the material presented years out of date?

Just a question…

so I go to look at tutorials, tips and tricks…then I find.

one or two current material…the rest?

06, 07 or 08?

So the information is very out of date and it saturates that forum…is it still good, will that be ok to read and study? How will I figure that out?

Without good information we don’t have a chance to make good decisions or understand what is current and useable. It might be that the material, years out of date is still relevant…but that is not something we can know

Just wondering if you will ever set up some sub folders by date…set them by years? Or something to help clean up the search.

I did when for animation…very disappointing.

I don’t know a solution nor am I trying to make it a problem, though I hope you can see why it can be a problem.

-j

Can’t you just sort the results by date posted?

However, the larger point, I don’t see a lot of people posting tutorials here. usually they just go to Youtube or their personal website. The truth is, I don’t think there are very many advanced users who spend a lot of time here. From time to time Andrew Price, Jon Williamson, Sebastion Koenig, Gotfried Hofmann, and a few others, but they are rare and the exceptions.

Yes I did sort the results like that… did one for ‘animation’ and the result: one post from 2014 out of many, many pages that were dated from 06 to 09 …very worrisome if you see what I mean. Perhaps I need to exclude?

I think my larger complaint is that material that is over a year old won’t be information at all…that’s my fear anyway…

so? I don’t know what to think. I think that’s why I’m posting…yes I did a search and didn’t see anything on the dates of material.

Not a lot of advanced users? that may be so…

Yet if it is no longer current and relevant?..those post are a large mass to try and shift through. Although it looks good until you read the post date. Then it comes into question. At least to my mind. Hmmm, this was posted eight years ago…is it worth reading? is this still working this way? see endless questions come up for me.

Well, I can be very wrong here, so I don’t know really what to think about all the dated material, maybe it’s just fine as is.

This issue is that most people who make the tutorials these days don’t maintain them. Generally it’s one-and-done kind of thing, unfortunately. Tutorial makers don’t look at their tutorials the same way add-on developers (for example) look at their add-ons.

On the upside, though there are UI differences most of the fundamental information in a good tutorial is applicable/transferable to the current version of Blender. It takes more work on your end to figure out things when differences arise, but it’s still possible.

Thanks Fweeb,

That is good to know, it makes my questions feel less worrisome. Perhaps a word of caution for the tutorials as sticky? Well, it’s most likely just me who found it so troublesome.

:slight_smile: