Unreal Engine 4 getting blender integration Livestream tomorrow (May 1st)

Hey everyone,

Just noticed this on the announcements section of the Unreal Engine 4 forums.

Thanks to all the folks who have dropped by our Twitch broadcasts so far!

Following our format of Thursdays at 2pm EDT, info is below for our next two streams. Please ask any questions here in this thread.

When: Thursday, May 1, 11am PDT / 2pm EDT / 7pm BST
What: Unreal Engine 4 Tools Livestream
Who: Matt Kuhlenschmidt, Lead Engine Programmer; Nick Atamas, Sr. Engine Programmer; Nick Darnell, Tools Programmer
Where: Twitch.tv/UnrealEngine

THURSDAY’S AGENDA

• Welcome & Latest News
  • Tools Topics1. What makes a great tool?
  1. How Epic works with the community on contributions, e.g., pull requests through GitHub
  2. UMG (Slate UI) - Unreal Motion Graphics - Goals and status
  3. Sequencer! Status and roadmap for the the successor to Unreal Matinee
  4. Blender support - Update on progress & how folks can help
  5. Additional features, e.g., Nick D.'s Blueprint copy/paste tool
  6. Anything else
  • Community Spotlight
  • Live Q&A

When: Thursday, May 8, 11am PDT / 2pm EDT / 7pm BST
What: Unreal Engine 4 Blueprint Livestream (+ possible VR update)
Who: Nick Whiting, Lead Engine Programmer; Nick Donaldson, Sr. UX Designer; TBD
Where: Twitch.tv/UnrealEngine

(Yes, there are FOUR different Nicks on the stream in the next two weeks. :wink:

As a reminder, broadcast recordings are posted at this YouTube playlist within a few days airing live.

Post your questions on the Unreal Engine forums.

I hope you found this news exciting. :slight_smile:

Great find. Been a bit busy to watch the weekly (fortnightly?) updates of UE4, but I intend to tune into this one!

Nice will most definitely watch, time conversions are a mess, but BST; brittish summer time, i think entire europe has switched to summer time, at least countries that uses it. So that would be +1H CET I think, the timezone Stockholm, berlin, amsterdam, paris is on.
SO 20:00 ? today…

http://www.worldtimebuddy.com/ <- this site helps.

Hi. Seems that Epic Games will support Blender.

https://forums.unrealengine.com/showthread.php?2017-Blender-toolkit

After the livestream goes live, could you please tell us what have been discussed?

Well, from Blender development fund webiste;

May 2014 – July 2014

• Grant for Mitchell Stokes, for half-time work on BGE bug fixing and IO support for Unreal engine modders.

That´s probably part of it.

Moderation note: I’ve merged a thread from the Blender and CG Discussions forum with this one

Around 19min mark is when they talk about Blender. The shortened version is Blender and Epic are in touch about getting FBX and Collada working well with Unreal.

In fact I’m fairly sure these 2 events are unrelated.

We were looking at engines that would be good for Mitchell to help make Blender compatible with and UDK seemed like a good one to start with, From what I can tell, the Unreal Engine guys announcing Blender support at about the same time is a coincidence. - But a good one :), means we get some support from both sides which should help get good integrating with minimal hassles.

Seriously, Charblaze? With all due respect, and frankly I’m finding it hard to find any for that post, is it beyond possibility for you to accept that Ton may have taken actions now based on the fact that there were complaints made in the past about the matter?

Trolling a thread you know game developers are in because of the good news it has for them, with nothing to demonstrate that they were actually wrong in their earlier misgivings, is poor form in the extreme. It’s not “hard truth” you’re peddling - it’s just $#!†-stirring on an already sensitive subject. :frowning:

I think this is a VERY good news - to have work done on it on both their side and Blender side. And to have officially mentioned. I was divided on this. I know Ton always want Blender to be all compassing program (end to end) and it is a nice thing. But with resources being spread thin, I wonder if we could at least follow the 80/20 rule in a few case, just to jump start Blender popularity.

So this move to make Blender play well with EU4 is a smart thing.

And being officially mentioned by the UE4 team is a nice advertising.

–edit–

I’ll elaborate the last line. For Blender to be taken seriously by others, it need to be taken seriously by the big guys. So, every time the big companies mentioned Blender (in this case, UE4 devs), we gain industry respect.

Honestly, as nice as it is to have people recognise Blender, Blender is already a good program and it doesn’t need attention from people who don’t care or aren’t really interested. Blender has an excellent community, and it will continue to gain in popularity as more people get to know it, anyone else who doesn’t use or like it already have made up their mind as to if they like it (which is totally fine) or are probably stuck in their ways, in which case it doesn’t matter.

That being said, this news for UE4 integration is fantastic, i’ve been using UE4 a lot and it’s an excellent game engine so i’m happy to see this happen. If anyone didn’t see the livestream, they’re looking for people to post models that have issues importing into Unreal Engine 4 from Blender, as they lack the experience and can’t account for everyone’s workflows, so if you are using UE4 and don’t mind sharing what you’ve made if it doesn’t import right, be sure to post it on UE4Answers or perhaps the forums :3

They also said they’d work on Collada support. Just as it was orphaned in Blender.

collada was near orphanage, because it is almost non existential in other 3D programs like Autodesk products and none of the big 3 game engines with massive usage at the time of the decision officially supported it.
at the time- a few days ago- it was a wise decision to make a cut in favour of a file format which is much more widely used in many areas aka fbx.

Ton Roosendaal made the best decision in favour of artists, that he could before the cool news from epic was available.
Ton is and will wisely add resources and revise earlier decision to please all the needs of us artists.

also now the cards massively changed in favour of the future of collada. that file format might actually see a Renaissance now.

Epic is an really important game engine producer and when they implement an collada importer,
collada again has a future.

Blender will have a good bridge to Unreal4 so be happy now.
:slight_smile:

Collada needs a lot of work on ALL ends of the spectrum to even approach usable status for anything other than niche uses like Second Life. There is no reference implementation, even between AD products that support it things are broken. I’d much rather see a new framework built with industry input to show up on the scene. Preferably open source like Alembic, but more intended to handle animation/skeleton interconnection between apps.

I know it’s a tall order as pretty much EVERY package handles bones, deformations, envelopes, and constraints differently. Maybe a new standard joint/bone implementation would be a good solution as well. A nice “reference” solution like OpenSubDiv is meant to be, with a good community push behind it.

Ah well, I’m dreaming over here. Good to know Unreal and Blender will soon play more nicely together!

It was not near orphanage, it’s quite literally orphaned in Blender in the sense that it doesn’t have an active maintainer. Gaia Clary just got tired of it (and who can blame him). Ton didn’t make any sort of decision here, and he doesn’t really assign resources outside of telling people to work on the bugtracker every week - getting volunteers to do what you want is like herding cats.

Unless there’s a dev who will take up Collada, someone should tell the UE4 devs not to bother with it and just concentrate on FBX IO from Blender.

Grant for Mitchell Stokes, for IO support for Unreal engine modders. <- does that not coun`t as resource assigning to you?

What does that have to do with Collada? Mitchell will AFAIK work on getting FBX working for rigging and animation among other things.

Epic could just get Maya files loading directly into UE4, but they didn’t. That’s what FBX is for. So it’s silly to offer Epic to make UE4 load .blend files directly.