Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: BoolTool 0.2

BoolTool 0.2

Hi, this is a add-on that i'm developing for in-house usage but i think can help someone out there. So i'm posting this preview to see wth you guys how it looks like. Any suggestion is welcome.

I want to finish some new features before release but will not take too long.

For those that liked the blender Theme that i'm using, it's the WIP version of the Graph 1.4, more information here

Last Release: 0.2
    Download

Fast Instructions:

How to install:

• Open the Link
    • Click in the BoolTool0.2.rar to open it (do not save it from here)
    • Click in " View RAW" button to download it
    • Save in somewhere and Unzip
    • Open Blender
    • File -> User Preferences -> Addon -> Install from File
    • select the BoolTool.py file
    • Enable it in the Addon Panel
    • Be Happy

Concepts:

Brush: Is a Object used as a Mask for the boolean operation
    Canvas : Is the Object that Keep the Boolean Operation

Make a Brush and Apply to a Canvas:
    You can select any count of objects and apply all these objects to the active one as a Boolean Brush. Just select the objects that you want to be a Brush, select a object to set it as active and click in one of those operations:

+ Union: Add the selected objects to the Active
    - Difference: Remove the objects to the Active
    * Intersection: Apply a intersect operation between the selected objects and the active

Direct Operator:
    You can use the direct operators to apply a Boolean function without make a Canvas or a Brush. it's a destructive process

Draw Poly Brush:
    With Draw Poly brush you can easy create pieces of polygonal objects to use as brushes for the canvas. is recommended use it from a orthogonal view

Remove:
    clean up some Brush and restore it as a normal object.
    If you apply a Remove to a Canvas, it will delete all Brushes and restore the canvas a normal object.

Brush Viewer:
    You can select, exclude or remove a Brush that is applied to this Canvas

Apply Mesh:
    Allows you to apply all or a single the brush to the Object and convert it to a final mesh ( Be aware that it's a destructive process, you will lost all the interactive stuff, but with that you will free the process and will get it as a simple mesh )

Bye!
    Last edited by vitorbalbio; 03-Jun-14 at 11:40.

Looks very nice, I'd like to see what you end up with after you have refined it

uffffff, buenisimo victor i cant wait to test...

wow! this is gamechanger for hard surface modeling!And the new booleans make so clean topology that we dont need retopo after booleans any more! I am looking for this too, great work, hope you will finish it soon!

Great addon, I can't wait to use it, I always thought the default boolean workflow is so slow but with your addon it becomes fast. =D

Your addon is a good idea.
    What you think about automatic disable rendering for object that interact with the main object ?

It is awesome, congrats and thanks.

...Great Work!...

amazing tool, looking great!

Looks really cool. Bookmarked.
    Quicksand has no sense of humor

Good , realese date?

Awesome tool, thanks!
    Last edited by Marc Clint Dion; 14-May-14 at 16:35.

mesh fusion for blender

Great idea! Hope you give it a release soon!

mesh fusion for blender
    Mesh Fusion still has a superior boolean system but Blenders new boolean system is pretty tight. Would love to see Mesh Fusion integrated into Blender like in Modo though.

Superb! A Groboto in Blender, indeed. A decisively game changing tool for hard surface modelling.

The remaining thing is to find a way of chamfering the boolean seams... it is the most serious, maybe, challenge regarding boolean modelling nowadays.

Great idea, but bad interface. How about adding gui controls? And also provide a way to identify which objects are doing what - substracting, adding etc., for example with visible object names? I guess custom wire colors (red for substract, green for add) would be best, but we still don't have that functionality.

Thanks all comment, i hope finish some details and release soon.

The remaining thing is to find a way of chamfering the boolean seams... it is the most serious, maybe, challenge regarding boolean modelling nowadays.
    Mesh fusion have a great Boolean based in Groboto and make by itself a bevel in the edge limit of the operated meshes, it's not so easy to replicate in blender, even manually cause our bevel code make to much artifacts when extrapolate the limits of the face, when the normal is different between edges and Carve don't make a clean edge loop in the edge intersection so we can't do to much with python only i think, i have some idea how to implement it using sort of "Solidify" in the object to make two lines of intersection and brigde it, but i think it's not possible with python.

Great idea, but bad interface. How about adding gui controls? And also provide a way to identify which objects are doing what - substracting, adding etc., for example with visible object names? I guess custom wire colors (red for substract, green for add) would be best, but we still don't have that functionality.
    Today we have at least the commands in the Object menu:
    8Jpgb.png
    i want to add it in the Tool Shelf too before of the release.
    A question for you guys. Is better have it in the Tools tab or in a new Tab?

A Node based interface is in my plains for a future version, but it will not be like Mesh fusion, i think we can do something more familiar to us. Tree structs are the core of CSG modelling it's not new so i think is a good idea to have one. My initial idea is to keep this hotkey functionality to add the object in the tree struct and the node will do the job to handle the Booleans, so the functionality will be the same but with a nice Tree editor. I need to investigate further to see if it's viable to do.

About visualization, we don't have to much room to play here, my desire is to make the "Brush" objects ( the objects used as masks ) with a custom unlit, semi transparent color. But i don't know if it's possible with python and OpenGL today. GSoC ViewportFX III are plain to able us to make some like that. I will see more about it.

What you think about automatic disable rendering for object that interact with the main object ?
    Disable the "Brush" objects from the render is a nice idea and is easy to do, thanks

A example of hard surface made here in Cogumelo company to a Project in 1mim (clocked ) with BoolTool and Mirror + Bisec to make it modular:

Cheers
    Last edited by vitorbalbio; 12-May-14 at 10:16.

wow.. excelent...

saludos

@victor
    can you include automatic material link assignment for mesh with different material

bool_mat.jpg

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast