Reconstruction of castle in Slovakia

Hi everyone!
I’m working on reconstruction of castle in Slovak from 17th century, I’m also going to make short clip of it. But before that I need to hear opinion of others. So your comments or critics are very welcomed.

BTW castle is called “Kapušanský Hrad”.

cool project - it would be interesting to see your reference material if you can post it.

reference

For me, it looks more to be a medieval castle than a 17th century castle… but ok, castles didn’t evolve in the same way everywhere in europe

the hoardings looks strange to me; the windows should be smaller I think, especially at the corner tower.

if you are student, or if you live near an university, check if you can found this book at the libraries. It’s full of sketches of all elements of the castles. it’ my ref number one for drawing/modeling a castle.

I like your stone texture, could you tell me how you made it ?

Thank you for comments, I appreciate that, well this castle was built in 13th century, but reconstruction is from 17th. Yes, I used sketch from this poster for modeling.
What do you think is strange on hoardings? Shape or texture ? (Honestly I’m not an expert in this, so if you know better way how to do it, please let me know) Thanks for book recommendation (looks great).

I made the stone effect using subdivision surface and displace modifier. In thistutorial is explained one way how to do in.

thanks for the informations.

hoardings (for what I know, I’m not an expert, just a castle enthousiast) have small openings, you don’t want to be aimed by enemy… :smiley:
I don’t have a picture of wooden hoardings, but look here or here(picture of carcasonne)

I took a lot of pictures of castles where I grew up (called sometime the castle land), the castles there have same shapes than Kapušanský, typical of castles built on top of rocks/mountain (my opinion).

I add two pics,
http://en.zimagez.com/miniature/dsc0337011.jpghttp://en.zimagez.com/miniature/dsc0375824.jpg
on the left, Licthenberg castle, you can see loopholes for canons (the castle was adapted to the artillery and when the french took it ,circa 1677, some modifications were made with vauban system). On the right , Spesbourg Castle, another loophole, I guess for archers (view from inside), to give you an idea, the width of loophole is around 20cm (I checked this with my hand), the height was around 1m iirc, I think this castle was never modified for any artillery or even hand guns.

If you are concerned about realism, I can’t tell under oath that your hoardings are too large, If you speak slovak try to found and email someone who work at the castle, or at somebody who know well the castle (historian, archeologist, castle enthousiast).

/nicoo

Cool…! You have done it very nicely.

Really like this. It looks realistic and cartoonish at the same time.

Thank you guys for your advice and comments, I appreciate that, finally I finished animation of the castle.
Rendered with cycles, composited in Blender. Hope you like it.

really nice model! thanks for sharing!

Wow! This is really amazing! How did you do those rocks??

Excellent. How did you handle the forest? Particle system and Sapling? Looks great. I admire your ambition and follow-through.

Perfect. Really nice animation!

Well done!

You crazy bugger :o

Thank you dksloane. If you look a little up, you’ll see a picture that explain it (or at least I tried). I learn that technique from thistutorial. But basically it is subdivision surface + displace modifier and also texture.

Thank you Rajakabapockets. Yes, I used particle system for places where trees might be seen from different angles, but I also cheated with “flat” trees (to reduce render time). See screen below.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]335232[/ATTACH]

Thank all of you guys, I appreciate your comments.

The castle part looks really good. Possibly the stonework is a little too clean; it could use some moss growths and spill marks to make it less ‘model-like’. The foliage along the front doesn’t quite look natural though.

Very cool animation you have there too.

Nice done! :yes: