Build Problem (Ubuntu 14.04): "Could NOT find IlmBase"

Hi,
I’m trying to build Blender from sources as noted here : http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Dev:Doc/Building_Blender/Linux/Ubuntu/Scons

I’m at the step to install dependencies thanks to :

sudo ./blender/build_files/build_environment/install_deps.sh --libyaml-cpp-ver=0.3

(the last option is due to a problem with the last version of ubuntu, noted in the build info text)

but it doesn’t compile, complaining about “Could NOT find IlmBase (missing: ILMBASE_IEX-2_1_LIBRARIES
ILMBASE_IMATH-2_1_LIBRARIES ILMBASE_ILMTHREAD-2_1_LIBRARIES)”

CMake Error at /usr/share/cmake-2.8/Modules/FindPackageHandleStandardArgs.cmake:108 (message):
  Could NOT find IlmBase (missing: ILMBASE_IEX-2_1_LIBRARIES
  ILMBASE_IMATH-2_1_LIBRARIES ILMBASE_ILMTHREAD-2_1_LIBRARIES)
Call Stack (most recent call first):
  /usr/share/cmake-2.8/Modules/FindPackageHandleStandardArgs.cmake:315 (_FPHSA_FAILURE_MESSAGE)
  src/cmake/modules/FindIlmBase.cmake:199 (FIND_PACKAGE_HANDLE_STANDARD_ARGS)
  src/cmake/externalpackages.cmake:38 (find_package)
  CMakeLists.txt:173 (include)

-- Configuring incomplete, errors occurred!
See also "/home/susskind/src/blender-deps/OpenImageIO-1.4.0/build/CMakeFiles/CMakeOutput.log".
See also "/home/susskind/src/blender-deps/OpenImageIO-1.4.0/build/CMakeFiles/CMakeError.log".
make: *** No targets specified and no makefile found.  Stop.
make: *** No rule to make target `clean'.  Stop.
ERROR! OpenImageIO-1.4.0 failed to compile, exiting

I’ve installed Ilmbase from sources found on Githib ( https://github.com/openexr/openexr ), but it is not found by install_deps.sh apparently.

Any suggestions about this?
Thanks a lot in advance :slight_smile:

EDIT :
Okay, I had different version of Ilmbase apparently which cause the problems… I deleted all versions in package manager (libilmbase) and it solved everything

I have the exactly same error what version of ilmbase and where did u download it?

Hi HasanLafci!
I’ve installed ilmbase thanls to the github repository :

(you need to clone the repo than just use the README).
Tell me whether it’s working!

I don’t know how to install/compile ilmbase and i readed the readme file.
Can i have instructions from you ?
Thanks in advance

If you are new to linux, you MUST learn how to build from sources thanks to github since it’s very often used with linux, and it’s now the basics.

when you use a program, most of them are already “built”: it means you can use them directly.
But for lots of Open source programs, voluntary workers provide usually their work directly. And this work is under the form of “sources”.
It’s the case for IlmBase.
So you must convert this sources into programs: to make it “understandable” by your computer.
Opensource works are frequently hosted on Github, which is a common depository, a website where you can host your work, and share it with the community.

1. the first step is to install “git” to connect directly with github :
sudo apt-get install git-core
  1. then, you must “clone” the opensource work that you want: it means to copy the folder hosted on Github, to your computer :
    first create a folder in your home directory :
mkdir openexr

and go inside it :

cd ~/openexr

(openexr is the principal project. IlmBase is an inside project inside this, amongst other projects)
then you “clone” (= copy) the target folder :

git clone https://github.com/openexr/openexr.git

3)In fact, you “clone” all the OpenEXR directory. But ilmBase is under one of the folder : go to the right ilmbase folder by “cd” to it:

cd ~/openexr/openexr/ilmbase
  1. There’ s a prelimary step before “building”, which is called “bootstraping”. It’s used for most of sources downloaded from github:
./bootstrap

1. Then you “build” the source : it means so to convert the “sources” into a program that your computer can run directly:
    there are always 3 steps for that : All the steps are always described inside the README :
    -1 you configure your system (the program looks for special features on your environment to install itself properly):
./configure

2- then you “build” per se

make

3- then you install the program which was built (the program gets integrated inside your environment):

sudo make install

Try this! If you get a problem, you need to give :
1- What you typed
2- what is exactly the error message.

Happy building! :wink:

Good explanation, quite didactic.

I make you a question. Why you need to compile Blender? Just for fun? Do you want to learn how to compile?

You should try to use “sudo” only when strictly necessary. In theory in your explanation, you only need “sudo” when install: “sudo apt-get install git-core” and “sudo make install”. For all other commands, the common user has permissions.

I see many tutorials where are working as root or superuser when not needed. When we do tutorials, we must to avoid making those mistakes because two reasons: Because the user is reading must learn when the normal user has permissions or not. And because a user usually copy and paste without knowing what the command does, and work as root/superuser when not needed can be dangerous.

Ok, I understand. You can also try the daily builds, they usually work well for me:

If you create a folder with “sudo mkdir”, then your user does not have permissions on that folder and you should use “sudo” even to delete that folder. The mistake was to have used “sudo” even to create that folder. Obviously, then all you want to do in that folder will need to use “sudo”. If you are working in your /home/USER, you do not use “sudo” to create that folder or with “git clone” or for anything else. Only use “sudo” to install the program, and you will not have problems. I guess with some of it has been related your problem.

Regards.

Okay it’s corrected. Thanks for the explanations!

Hey Klopp,

Thanks for your explanation,
I also have to compile blender.

I am working on Ubuntu 14.04 (64 bit) and I had the same problem.

However, I compiled Ilmbase based on what you explained. However, I still got the same error while building OpenImageIO-1.4.0 (after running the " sudo ./blender/build_files/build_environment/install_deps.sh --libyaml-cpp-ver=0.3 ").

Then by “synaptic package manager” searched for “Ilmbase” and here is the result:

Which one should I remove to be able to compile blender?

Thank you for your help in advance

Ehsan

Hi Ehsan!
I was able to build the first time but sadly didn’t manage to do that after having uninstall/install the new release :o
Maybe it was due to libraries that I’ve installed in the meantime… After uninstalling/reinstalling several libs multiple times, I quit :eek:
So eventually I’ve chosen the solution of YAFU and directly installed thanks to the daily build robot : https://builder.blender.org/download
And it works very well for me :yes:

Maybe other people could help you to build this if you’re still trying to use the hard way!

OOK,

Actually I dont know how to use buildbot. How can I upload my manipulated source code to complie?

Is there any tutorial?

Hum… AFAIK the build bot creates only daily build from the official source code (but this the last one, than more recent than the stable release).

@Klopp: You sir, thank you so much for your explanation. The simple and straight forward explanation i have seen on compiling stuff. Helped me on compiling not exactly blender, but some other stuff.