Earth in cycles with volumetric atmosphere

(updated image)

I am working on making a realistic earth in cycles, I want to add an atmosphere but i’m not sure how to do that. And if anyone has critiques that would be great, it’s hard to tell how something looks after looking at it to long.

2 Likes

Here is another render, i used the Fresnel note to get the blue atmosphere.

second picture looks very good, at least in dark room.

Andrew Price has a tutorial on this, probably can help you with everything. My only critique would be that in the darker part of the globe you wouldnt be able to see the atmosphere(no light) this is covered in this http://www.blenderguru.com/tutorials/create-a-realistic-earth/#.U71ksLGtGAk tutorial by andrew price.

Andrew Price’s earth tutorial is made with blender internal renderer, I think. I am making mine in Cycle render.

my bad, yea i see now duh, anyway i think its looking really good. for the fresnel node i would make it just a little lighter and for mapping i would use the gradient texture so only the lighter parts have the atmosphere.

Looks good.

I added a sun and some ghost glare.

1 Like

I have worked on the earth material and added displacement to the clouds. I don’t really like the atmosphere though, I was wondering if there was a way to make use fresnel node to make it go from transparent in the middle to blue close to the edge to transparent right at the edge, could the color ramp node do that?

1 Like

I think it would, but have a mix shader, then have a diffuse and a transparent hooked up to the mix, and use the fresnel as the fac.

We are working on making a atmospheric scattering shader for Cycles (via OSL) to give the best results. For now it does work but there are a lot of things to get through before it being in a usable state (such as the light in the shader not following the light, too much parameters to take into account, etc.)
But it does give nice results, although not perfect yet. If you aim towards a realistic Earth, this is the way to go (because this is the way it works :D)

Ive been working on a decent atmosphere myself. I have been using 2 scattering nodes fed into a mix node. One with a denser setting than the other. Then I use a layer weight node to blend them so the less dense one shows through the center of the planet and it gets denser as you get to the edges.
Not earth, but a reasonable facsimile.

I think it would, but have a mix shader, then have a diffuse and a transparent hooked up to the mix, and use the fresnel as the fac.

I can’t seem to make it go transparent at the edge can someone show me a node setup?

I dont think that issue is with the shader. I think it is the glow bleeding over onto the planet. Use the alpha from the planet layer to mask off the glow so it does not go onto the surface.

It is all on one render layer and want the glow on the edge of the planet, what i want is for the atmosphere sphere to be transparent at the center and change to opaque at the edge but right at the very edge i want it to fade to transparent so that i could scale it up a bit and the atmosphere would fade beyond the edge of the planet without compositing sort of like this http://www.3dportfolio.de/bilder/Earth_by_3DPORFTOLIO_04.jpg so i was wondering if the color ramp node could be used with the layer weight node to make a custom falloff.

Im not saying to get rid of the glow. The glow is bleeding onto the surface of the planet. Your atmosphere and planet should be on separate layers and then composited together. You can definately make the edge of the sphere transparent, but I don’t think you will see it with the glow bleeding over it.
You can test this by eliminating the glow and seeing what that looks like.

i was testing on another sphere just to see if it would work but i couldn’t get it to work.

Try this. Red would be your transparent shader.
sphere.blend (108 KB)

It doesn’t seem to go completely transparent at the edge, there is still a slight hard edge.

How do you get the city lights separated from the daylight side?