Detective Campbell (Alpha fund, pay what you want)

Detective Jake - mystery crime game with mini games in between the missions

It is not a straight dark themed game as elements of comedy are incorporated through out the game.

Play it here

http://istanaangin.itch.io/detective-campbell

Twitter https://twitter.com/IstanaAngin

I’m thinking I hope you didn’t already go for crowdfunding with that material. Wireframe graphics, empty game world and poor animation the project is hard to take seriously.

I like detective games but developing them requires a sharp mind and good writing skills, not nearly everyone can make them. Rescuing the cat and weight loss jogging doesn’t sound like you’ve found the essence of the genre.

Crowdfunding you can forget about altogether, there are but couple of games on BlenderArtists that are advanced enough to potentially go for it. You need a lot of polished video material preferably gameplay parts included and solid game idea that has some demand on the market. You gotta be able to find the people that could be interested and sell the idea to them.

Yeah I hear you… the original plan was to work on the game for a few more months before trying to publish it without crowd-funding.

The only reason I am really attempting crowd-funding is to convince people around me. Also I want to get my hands on marketing.

Of course the final game won’t be in wire-frame mode… if there is a wire frame mode, then it will be for the aesthetics.

The main mysteries will be serious and dark themed inspired a bit by noir films.

The cat and jog bit was side quests and my “attempt” of sarcasm. It suppose to be terrible to inspire laughs but I hear you… all of these are subject to changes. The game-play will be simple and changes with the game scenarios.

I do like your reply… it gives me an input… if you like, I think I can work on a demo in about month.

Thanks again.

The main mysteries will be serious and dark themed inspired a bit by noir films.

Why don’t you try to capture that sentence in a still image or two to begin with? Try to polish couple of in-game screenshots for the campaign.

For music pick something like this (it’s free to use under CC-BY-3.0) http://opengameart.org/content/trouble-makers-coolriff-jazz or something linking to the film noir setting.

With crowdfunding everything counts. You don’t put little effort to get little money because you won’t get any. With a lot of effort you might get some money and with huge effort, little investment and business contacts one might even get full amount.

I will work on that… perhaps I will post it here first for opinions

I am mainly currently focusing on the mechanics first before the graphics…

Update.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]321548[/ATTACH]
This one of the target noir style of the game. However the game is not strictly noir, changes could occur

Have you done the game mechanics and script?

Adventure game type gameply + mini games

Deleted the post

Haha, that’s much better :smiley:

Still no textures and some wireframe, empty world and poor animation but there’s much more feeling and story to the video.

and others stuffs

Deleted the post

I tested the blend. The physics of your character is not stable and some motions are skipped weirdly. You ought design anything in a good order first before creating a scene, otherwise it will be very difficult and annoying for you to renew/ improve the game at the end.

Model main characters ( better make it in an other blendfile) texture and rig/ animate them there - Model and build texture for objects that are shown in game environment - Append all those into 1 blendfile which should be your game and build logic of them. If you are not sure about the look of any thing you made in those file, dont append them, just link, so when you edit those in the external files, the models in game will also be updated.

Its just my own way of designing because i always tendend more to details of any game element. Good luck with the project.

yah. I will use append further down the line…

I have included an early build of the beginning of the game… you can play it here

no captions

maybe a save/load system is needed

any more good save/load system that have been posted here before?

• Updated a bit here and there
  • added new scenes & new dialogue system further along the game

no captions

Can anyone give suggestions on how to reduce the size of the game?

or is it ok?