The Silent Hills

Hi it’s Hans again. My PC is fixed but my files are all corrupted. So I gotta start my Silent Hill fan project from scratch again. It’s a combo of Silent Hill, haunted house horror and some sci-fi stuff. This time I’ll do it without the Fog World and the Other World it all now happen in the Real World.

When the Other World appears, paint fall from walls like what happen in the games but it was now all about some kind of black magic where a thick black mist suddenly engulf portions of the town, not a dimension shift. The warning that the other world is coming is the birds and other animals. They seem to flee when the black mist is about to form. Sometimes it is foggy and sometimes it’s sunny. It all depends on the weather now but monsters come out only during foggy day/night just like in the movie: The Mist.

There is also some Crysis 3 like level design thrown into it.

The Plot

Edward da Silva in Silent Hill

Edward da Silva, the main character, crash landed near the town of SH, follows a road ahead and ended up in SH where he meets other characters having crash landed also in the area just 2 miles away from Edward’s. They then attempt to find a way out of the town in which escape is difficult because many roads are cut-off.

Modelling the streets of Silent Hill and the characters.
I should start at the intro level but I’m still thinking of how to design the intro level.

Progress:

I’m still finding a way how to unwrap panoramic skies to UV spheres.
Modelling buildings and street objects. This is an old town where the protagonist crash landed. So I will stick to the 90s style.

Added a scene Modelling characters.

Completed the first character, the Exosuit Soldier. Just gotta add details now.

Working on the second character and adding some props now.

The idea about this scene is two characters talk while the SH2 OST: Null Moon plays in the background.

Added some props, tiny plants and lightning adjustments.

To do:

Add some grass.
Make the town look more deserted.

Created the 2nd character.
The scene is 70% complete.
Gotta add some grass and clouds.

Added some grass. Working on the clouds now.

Amazing work im still new here i like the fire effect how did u do it, is it a uv map animation? :slight_smile:

You’re making fast work of this scene, Hans! Very good. Where did you find your textures from? Or did you shoot them yourself?

Looking forward to seeing more!

That fire effect was just a png image. I’m still learning how to simulate fire. I’ll checkout Andrew’s tuts for that.

I got those textures from cgtextures.com, google images and the others I shoot them.

Added some more grass.
I will now add volume lights.

This looks cool! Is it for a game ?
Good job, keep going!

Fire Effects- Cool then otherwise the grass came out good. The whole theme is very interesting, looks futuristic and also old at the same time, great art.

This is not a game but a short CG animation done in Cycles.

Still learning about volume lightning.

I found this interesting game snapshot.

I will try to achieve something close to this.

This is coming out pretty nice. One thing I noticed is that the grass and plants are coming right out of the street. Make it so the part of the road with vegetation is cracked/broken to allow the underlying dirt to support the plants.Along those same lines, I noticed the tree is jutting out of the sidewalk. It looks like this would be a tree that was placed there by the city. If so, add detail to the base where they had a hole in the sidewalk to allow for the planter. However, I wonder if they would even put a tree there, being that its blocking the windows in that building.

I am still figuring out how to add some fine details like cracks or damages to meshes. The scene is set in an abandoned town like Pripyat so mother nature is regaining the place. Vegetation is sprouting all over and that tree just sprouted in the pavement!

I’m looking for tutorials about adding some fine details to meshes and some pics of abandoned towns for good reference.

The inspiration originally came from these tv series by the way: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Life_After_People

CG animation looks amzing, good luck with the deserted city wil keep an eye.

Gort, Klaatu barada nikto!

Great work! I really love those droids (I mean I suppose they are droids and not humans in costumes). They have this really classical sci-fi feeling to them, which used to creep the living daylights out of me when I was a kid, but has become more and more fascinating to me with the passing of the years. As you probably have noticed, they remind me of Gort from “The day the Earth stood still” (the original, not the remake), which is one of my all time favorite sci-fi movies. Looking forward to more images from this scene! It’s turning out super so far!

Those are robots, wearable robots. I’m still working on the female robot. I am busy studying female proportions. Update may come in few days.

Adjusted lightning settings.
I finally finished tweaking the clouds.

Still modelling the female character.

What you’re attempting is really challenging, but keep at it!
Might be helpful to study reference photos of abandoned cities such as Chernobyl and Gunkanjima.

Yeah it is challenging indeed, especially the story part and the musical scoring. I’ll have to watch many movies to get an idea. It is challenging but rewarding because I learn allot from it.