Brontosaurus Rex

It’s been a while since I’ve used Blender, but I got bored the other day and decided to pick it up again. I decided to model a Brontosaurus Rex, a prehistoric chimera with the head of a Tyrannosaurus Rex and the body of a Brontosaurus(or Apatosaurus, to be scientifically correct). The inspiration comes from my former history teacher, who said that it was his favorite dinosaur(obviously oblivious to its nonexistence).

Update: I’ve begun sculpting.

Reminds me of a film director I once worked with. We were trying to figure out how to (logically) get the main character together with the love interest and circumstances were totally aligned against that happening. The director said, “Why doesn’t she just drive up, throw open the door and tell him to get in?”

We (my co-writer and I) asked what the logic was that lead her to do that since she–at this point in the story–didn’t know he needed help, didn’t–in fact–know he was in trouble and worse: didn’t even know he existed! The director said, “We’ll explain it later.”

To which we asked, “And what is the explanation?”

He said, “I’m sure you’ll come up with something.”

And he actually thought he’d solved the problem.

And the really funny thing? Since that day, I’ve been astounded to see this exact scene play out in movie after movie, dozens of examples of one character driving up, throwing open the door and yelling, “Get in!”

Hollywood. Pah!

Haha! That actually sounds a bit like my teacher’s class. Assigns the work first and expects us to figure it out on our own.

I’ve unwrapped the model. I’ll begin sculpting soon.

I’ve begun sculpting the B. Rex.

There’s still quite a ways to go, but I’m becoming rather pleased by the look of it so far.

Any critiques?

I sculpted some more and reshaped the jaw so the mouth can close properly.

Are there really no critiques?

dinosaurs, my childhood biggest passion! it’s fine, but some part of the neck looks stretched, try to re-sculpt them!

Thanks for the critique. I think I fixed the parts of the neck which you mentioned:

give it stegosaurus back plates.

It’s an interesting idea, but then it would become a “Brontostegosaurus Rex” I guess. :slight_smile: It’s a bit late for that anyways since I’m already on the texturing stage.

I baked a normal map out of the sculpt and brought the model down to about 37000 quads. Now to begin texturing.

So I was wondering why the normal map looked so unsightly, and I realized that I forgot to select “Normal Map” in the image sampling tab, which I then fixed. However, after beginning to paint a preliminary color map, I got some rather conspicuous seams which aren’t present in texture paint mode. Any ideas on how to fix this?

It’s possible the seams are filtering issues, luckily, the merge of Psy-Fi’s paint branch now allows you to resolve this by adding an adjustable ‘bleed’ variable when texture painting (ie. the texture continuing beyond the edges of the UV face islands, the paint mode in 2.71 has the textured bits terminate right on the line).

So, you can grab a new build and see if the texture bleeding helps you.

the tail is not heavy enough to balance the head and neck.

Thanks for the tip, Ace Dragon. I didn’t download the paint build, but I filled the non-UV parts of the texture map in GIMP with a dark brown which ended up fixing it.

Very impressive! Neck seems to be a bit too long though. When I get better at Blender I want to model Godzilla and the Cloverfield monster :slight_smile:

Thanks! The proportions are based off of a Supersaurus skeletal reconstruction (I preferred the look to that of an Apatosaurus) (http://scotthartman.deviantart.com/art/Thunder-Lizard-size-comparison-377926032), so I’m pretty sure the proportions are okay. The Tyrannosaurus head certainly added some mass, but I also elongated the tail accordingly while modeling.

Why wait until you get better to model Godzilla and Clover? Jump right into it and you’ll enjoy it a lot.

Ah I see my bad then, looks good!

Haha literally I just started using this software a few days ago so don’t take my advice seriously :stuck_out_tongue: Anyways keep up the good work!

So I decided to finally learn rigging(I’m long overdue), and I am currently in the process of rigging the B. Rex. Although the rigging isn’t finished, I got bored and used the Rex in a camera tracking test:

The test was mainly just for tracking, so the lighting, materials and animation are pretty sloppy.