Modeling objects request

I’ve requested some models to help improve my modeling game and got my answer. The models suggest so far we be in this order:
A wine glass
A teapot
A baseball and baseball glove
A T-rex

Thankyou
@Photox

Wine Glass

Tea pot

Here’s my first ever attempt at modeling a baseball, a serious critique needed for this one.

Great start!

Some notes:

1. Wine Glass:
    8 verts per loop may be on the low side. By default the glass shader color is a light grey. i usally push it a bit more towards pure white, otherwise the glass has a grey tint. Also glass refracts light and really wants to have some type of texture behind/underneath it so you can see those refracted distortions. Consider putting a wood/marble texture as the floor and also tossing another object behind it to see that great refracted light.

2. The teapot:
    Pretty solid. I must admit I have never used a teapot and there’s something that looks slightly off with the shape, although I couldn’t quite tell you what. Some of the edges seem a bit on the sharp side, consider smoothing them out some. The material on the render needs some work. Start with diffuse mixed with a mix hsader with glossy. Roughness should be quite low as ceramic is very reflective.
    Roughness of 0 is a perfect mirror, so experiment with the rougness and the mix factor. Also you should be using some enviornemental lighting, let me know if you’ve never used it before. Basic glossy shader:

3. The baseball. I’m impressiced that you modeled the seam, and stitches. Great start. Of course you always need to be working from reference photos, and a real baseball has lot more stitches. Don’t be afraid to experiment with faking it. That is, using a normal map for the depressions where the stitches go inside the ball, and then modeling the stitches as a separate object, or using an array fit to a curve.

Good job!

I’ma apply those changes to the wine glass and tea pot, I’ve never used environmental lighting. Texture wise for the baseball I’m not really sure how to use them or create my own to fake the details. I’m currently working on the baseball glove and I definitely see the use of textures helping on it.

HDRI environment lighting uses as image to light your scene. It’s as if there is a full color scene surrounding your objects. This image shows the differences between diffuse and glossy shgaders, and the difference env lighting has on a scene. It’s pretty dramatic. The sphere is a perfect mirror, that is glossy with a roughness of 0. You can really see the image on it. It’s more subtle on the teapot and suzanne, but creates great variation on the levels. There are a number of sites for hdris and you can just google them. It’s good to have a folder with a number of different hdris. The image you choose will greatly affect how your scene looks, and you wouldn’t want to use a sunny sky hdri on a dimmly lit interior shot (like I did :yes:) Anyway to set it up:

1. Go to sIBL and find at a few images you like , download them and unzip them into a folder
  2. In your blend file, go to the world tab, and change ‘Color’ to ‘environment texture’
  3. In the box below, click the folder icon and browse to your hdri folder and choose one of the .hdr files
  4. Adjust the strength to suit the scene.

That is very nice topology on the baseball. I do agree that it could use more stitches, though.

Are you just trying to sharpen your modeling skills? Do you have a particular style of modeling you are looking for? I’d be happy to put more items in the suggestion box.

The Hdri maps works really good, its crazy how I’ve never used it before. I’m still trying to fake the details of the baseball but I’m like 88% from getting it. Textures are definitely my weakness but I’m sure I’ll over come it in time.

Yea I’m working out strategy to get those, as for modeling I’m trying sharpen it so i can model anything. That would be awesome if you could suggest some items to the list.

More things to model:

Anvil
Fire Hydrant
Adjustable wrench
USB stick
Canoe

And if you get bored of learning to model, Those things also would make good texturing practice. If you want a real easy start to texturing, texture a brick.

I am so sorry I posted this in the wrong thread. Not sure how to delete it. I am new as well
I am also learning the modeling, lighting, materials, and textures.

Your models are looking good keep up the good work

The glossy I only had glossy and not connected to anything but the material node then I followed what you said in the previous post you gave to me. The mix fac .0136 and diffuse 0 and glossy at .042 which worked but it didn’t have my color in that. So I changed it to the nodes in the image. It isn’t what I want. I wanted that aqua color I had and it changed it.

Even when I disconnect the diffuse and mix it still has that color.