Sewing machine Chaika 142 M

Always wanted to make this sewing machine in Blender. Month ago found it in a box and started to work. Now you can see results.

Attachments

Wire

Post-procesing

Great work. Is your thread spool texture done with a bump map?

Bump+Sculpt

Please, comment.

Very nice and neat product type illustration. Only three things stick out:

1. the background walls are too dominantly patterned, and the pattern also obscures the corner. Try to light it or cheat with some shading of the texture to make the part where the two walls come together a little darker. Right now it looks flat, yet the table clearly heads into a corner…

2. The cover plate area right under the needle is almost always very shiny and polished, even on quite old machines, but you have made it dull and textured… Maybe it is a very used machine but it strikes me that changing this would introduce a nice bright area to give the picture more contrast and also the reflection would add interest. Right now it looks a little flat.

3. And finally the most nitpicky comments: The edge of the table is too pretty and distracts from the main part of the image, and the table appears to have a wood grain that runs in the wrong direction (crossways) and no planks!

None of these things would take very long to fix and would all improve the final image, don’t you think?

Great work! But realy, I agree with @DruBan about the wall corner.

I love it especialy the close up of the needle, dog ,and foot.

Thank’s for replies. Tried to change corner, so how it looks now?

That wood texture for the base of the machine is perfect. Your texturing on the machine is great. I think the table and the wallpaper is a little distracting from the machine. I actually liked the studio renders best. Cool work.

The only suggestion I’d make here, and it is a very small one, is that a little bit of rim-light would be helpful on the left edge of the machine as it faces the camera … the edge that is closest to the far wall … specifically in order to separate it from that wall.

And if you want to “just do it ‘in post,’” by all means, feel free.

The bottom line, for me, is that this is a completely realistic depiction of an intricate (and, lovingly-modeled) piece of machinery. It is a superb depiction, not only of the machine itself, but also of its setting and environment. As a “product shot,” it is an extremely fine (and flattering, to the machine) portrayal. There’s a lot of believable “visual interest” here, a plausible and believable lighting profile, and so on.

I therefore nominate it, forthwith and without delay, to The Gallery. Well done. Well done.

Thank’s sundialsvc3. Wooden bottom texture photo I took by my self, I’ve got bad camera, so I took 2 photos of every side of sewing machine an then processed them in PS. Then I made this node system If you interested (every image is the same, but some of them were Non-colored).

Whats the idea behind connecting an image texture to a SSS node then to normal inputs? Never seen that done before! does it actually work??? :confused:.

Great work!

Now you only need to… rig it and sew something :smiley:

Cheers!

One way or the other, Sergy, you came up with a fine product-shot, and I am pleased to see that you’ve “made the front page” on the site.

“The bottom line™,” as is the case with every ‘commercial photograph,’ is that … “you have to Come Away With The Shot.” And, you did. If this actually were a photograph, of a real sewing-machine in a room somewhere, then it would be well-pleasing to the Manufacturers.

. . .

Certainly, people around here are always interested in “how I did it” discussions. Please do elaborate (here) on the particular techniques that you used; the particular obstacles that you creatively overcame; and so on and on and on. :yes: This is how “the rest of us, in The Peanut Gallery™,” learn.

Very good work on the materials and the thread particularly.

Impressive work.
I don’t know why, but the material of the white plastic/metal (the body of the machine) is not looking right. it can be improved. try less glossyness.