Star Wars Fan Art -- WIP

Latest image:

Original post:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]331710[/ATTACH]

This is the start of a new project I’m working on. It’s a fan art piece. I’m not going for “realism” here. Rather, I’m going for a “modeling clay” like you’d get with “play dough”. It’s a style fairly simple to do, because, for the most part, you’re not concerned with topology, outside of what you need to hold some edges, and a lot of it is characterized by separate parts, just like you would when working with clay.

Still, I have a few things in here that I haven’t tried before (such as the shrink wrap), so suggestions and comments are welcome!

Attachments

The start of the second character for my fan art piece.

The “modeling clay” feel is certainly interesting. Did you achieve that effect through a displacement modifier?

One thing I’d suggest on the Yoda picture is to alter the lighting a bit. Currently he’s mainly lit from the top/side, which leaves the main features in shadow. A simple 3-point setup wouldn’t do the model any harm.

Thanks Jacob. Yes, it is a displacement modifier with a cloud texture. I vary it from .02 to around .05 for the strength. A subsurf gives me the vertices I need to make the displacement work. As for the lighting, I didn’t move the light from the default position on that one. However, this was just to show off the character. It’s actually part of a larger scene.

Speaking of which, here’s an update on the R2D2 character:

I’m not quite finished with him yet, but he’s coming along nicely.

You are a modeling clay pro. If I was a kindergartner, I would die by jealousy.
Seriously, your work is a welcome variation in the heap of hyper-mega-realism, and looks very promising.

Here’s the R2D2 with the modeling complete. Again, keep in mind, I’m going for a “Play Dough” look. Suggestions welcome. I do plan on shifting over to Cycles and I will “grunge” him up a bit for the scene. For now, I have BI textures so I can tell which pieces are which.

The start of another character. I hope once I had the hair, he’ll look at least a little bit more like who I’m aiming for. Still need to add his hands and feet, too. Coming along, I think.

A little work on the trees on Dagobah for my fan art project. Same tree, just rotated. Used a skin modifier for the shape with a pair of subsurfs on either side and a displacement for the texturing. Here, I have a “wood” texturing going on. I think I may add a “clouds” texture to get the clay look, too.

Finished up my Luke character. Don’t mind the hair… It’s styled for the final scene, not as he would normally appear. It will make sense when that is able to be seen.

Trying to load others, but getting error messages…

[ATTACH=CONFIG]334906[/ATTACH]

Hmm… Don’t know what was happening earlier, but seems to be better now.

Here’s the update on Yoda with the feet, and I added a pouch on the belt. I also got the parenting set up on this and the Luke model so I can do some quick posing.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]334907[/ATTACH]
At the last minute, I discovered I needed one more model. I was surprised at how quickly this came together. I haven’t added the “clay” look on this one, at least not yet, because there are some smaller parts that might not hold that detail well.

Now the question is do I keep it in BI or switch to Cycles.

I haven’t been around much lately, but that’s been mainly because the last week or so I’ve been working on finishing up this piece. I’m at a place now where I’m not going to upload many more images because, as I think I mentioned at the start of this thread, this particular piece is for Blender Art Magazine. Once that issue is released, I’ll upload the final version in the “finished projects” thread. Thanks for those who left comments along the way, both here and on Facebook!