Renderlayers mixing layers

Hey all,
so I decided to model a simple car to test out lighting and compositing, but when I created the render layers, something unusual happened.

The blue streak parallel to the car at the bottom is only on layer 1, but the second (background layer) also has that for some reason…the tire is only on the first render layer, but when I mix it up with the background, it becomes transparent…and then something strange happens with the windows as well

what’s going on here?

Could you supply a .blend file so we can better diagnose the problem? Thanks.

EmergeE4t.blend (1.15 MB)
heres the shortened version…too much to add into the file

so no one knows :frowning:

Hi dancreator,

to fix the blue streak you could put the light that causes it onto layer 2 and Exclude it from the background renderlayer in the Scene->layersettings.

The reason why your tire disappears is because you “add” the background over the foreground. It disappears only in that area because there the backgroundlayer has no shadow(where the shadow is the value of the color is 0 and nothing is added ontop of your other Renderlayer). You can fix that problem if you enable transparent under the world->Film settings. Then also check ZMask for Layer1 under Scene->Layersettings for your Backgroundlayer. Now the Layer with the car is transparent around the car and your backgroundlayer is transparent where the car would be. In the Compositing you can now delete the Add-Node and use an Color->AlphaOver Node instead.

Sorry, this doesn’t work…both of your methods :confused:

to try and eliminate the blue streak…I put it in layer 5 and excluded it in the “background” renderlayer

I must remind that I am using 2.69, not 2.71

I also tried to goto World-Film settings, but in my version of blender, I don’t have that option in my world tab

I uploaded the file with the correct settings, i meant the Rendertab->Film Settings.

Attachments

EmergeE4t_Fixed.blend (1.15 MB)

Ahh, ok now I see what I did wrong…overthinking it :confused:
Thanks for the help…totally saved me a scene :slight_smile: