Low Poly City Building Pack

Hi everyone! I wanted to introduce a low poly city building pack I finished up today.

You can view the asset at:
fatbox Software Unity Shop - Low Poly City Building Pack

Here are some preview images and a Youtube video with complete turnarounds for each model.

These are VERY impressive, and well made. Not so hot about most of those triangles; so the topology is a little messy but in texture those buildings are WAY good looking.

Very well done, I might like to see more variety though, seems only enough to fill a small town.

That’s really great texturing! Though the windows feel like they need more depth, maybe in a certain LOD level.

Yeah I didn’t sweat any triangles as long as they didn’t cause any shading errors, which you can see in the real time preview images from the Unity viewport, they don’t have any shading issues. If these were deforming meshes I would definitely place triangles much more carefully.

Update issue on buildings 5, 7 and 10 in which roof edge details were missing in the real time previews.

Added a new building today (Building #11), will try to add a few more and then submit this to Asset Store.

I went ahead and added a new building this morning, before I submit. For some OCD reason I felt better with the even number of (12) buildings total.

The pack is finally live on the official Unity Asset Store today:

http://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/#!/content/22210

Is this made in Blender?

No it was authored in another 3d application, but the files are in FBX file format, which will import into Blender and are fully editable within the Blender application. So can totally be used within Blender if that’s the app you choose. I know a lot of folks use Blender with Unity in their workflow and these would work ideal for that.

To me, this is not a “Game Engine Resource”!
But I’m not the owner of this site.
Bye

Hmm, how do you think a modular set of buildings designed to be used within a game engine to build an environment are not “game engine resources”? I’m just purely curious. In my opinion this is absolutely a resource for both game developers and Blender users.

Its quite simple:
you’re selling your “resources”, so this invalidates that.
But, most probably, I’m an old fashion person!
Bye

Then at least put [paid] in the title of the thread, very few resources, if any, are paid on this forum and it mainly consists of blender users contributing their works for other people to use and learn from. The fact that this site is called BLENDERartists probably implies that you have used blender in some form, for creating either the art piece, or the objects in it (which you have not).

I’m not going to post a .blend product on the 3ds Max forum, demand payment, and then reveal that I never used 3ds Max but the option for importing is there.

No doubt these models look spectacular, and the textures look great, however you have to realize that this is a Blender community, based around ‘free’ software. Maybe it would be best you post this on a unity forum instead, as at the moment you are advertising your product, on a software forum, without using the software.

I didn’t overthink it like this. The file format is 3d app agnostic, FBX file format works fine in Blender. I didn’t know that this was a free resources only thread to be honest. I thought if someone was offering a resource, very cheap and taking a big loss on the time put in, that it was a very good offering. I’m not a company or some nameless corporation. I’m an indie game developer, working from home, with limited resources like everyone else. I spent about 5-6 days of full work on the building set, so about $300-$450 worth of time at a minimum. Offering something like that for $35 bucks, is practically giving it away for free considering the time investment. That should be the burden of proof that I am not someone gouging other devs or Blender users, but rather someone offering a useful development asset to help other devs save their own money and their own time. I don’t do game development or 3d modeling for the money. I do it for the love of doing it and mastering my craft. With that said I have two children and am married, so I have bills to pay like everyone else out there. I can’t give everything away for free, though on my web site at www.fatboxsoftware.com I do give away a bunch of stuff for free to other developers. Check it out if you think I’m being false.

Great model pack, keep making more.

I am. I have a really cool one that isn’t buildings, but it is cool. Can be used in Blender as FBX or OBJ and within the workflow with Unity. These low poly guys have been a labor of love for a while.

Dear JamesArndt,
I’ll be fair with you, even if you don’t deserve it;
I’ll ask the Administrators if this kind of threads are allowed in the forum ( there’s some commercial ones around)!
While waiting for the answer, please, stop to post links to commercial offers, or I’ll delete this thread directly!
Bye

No problem. No more threads unless they include a freebie. Honestly I had no clue folks had such an aversion to paying for something, but I get it when it comes to Blender, etc. Thank you for the heads up.

It’s not about “aversion to paying for something”. This isn’t a store. It’s a community hub. These resource forums are for educational purposes, and for a free program. Not for people to push their products.
It’s like going to the Goodwill and setting up a booth where you sell your clothes instead of just donating them. If you wanna sell them, it’s fine, but this isn’t the place for it. =P

Yeah I understand your view point completely and I think I see our difference. It’s a matter of perspective. I’ve never seen myself as a “store”. I’m a guy who works in my living room with a 3 yr. playing behind me. Meanwhile I spent maybe 5-6 days creating art for these buildings, taking breaks to play with the kids, and then back to work. I spent maybe 50-60 hours on the art for these. That came out to about $1,000 in labor cost to me. So I’m in the hole $1,000 right away. I put them up on my own little web site (which very few know of) and for $35.00 bucks at that. So there’s a bit of a disparity there right? $1,000 in cost to me, and literally giving away for $35. That’s why I don’t see myself as a store, not to mention I’m a Blender user and 3d artist just like a lot of folks on there. I thought a community hub was the place to be, to offer something like this at such a deal that I’m really just giving it away for pennies. It might as well be a freebie. Not to mention folks who don’t know how to do low poly modeling or buildings or texture work can totally use these for educational purposes. The textures are all layered and named and that right there is enough to glean some serious learning from. I’m not “pushing a product”. I’m offering a part of myself, my art, my labor that I spent days on. It’s simply not that impersonal to me, I’m not a company, I’m not a marketer. I’m a game developer who makes a measly living doing what I love. I guess this is a matter of perspective. :slight_smile: