Export grease pencil to file from sequencer - how?

Is this a feature? I know how to export a preview animation with the grease pencil from the 3D view, but how does one do this from the sequencer?

I know it can potentially be a game changer concerning animatics and editing, etc - but I just can’t seem to render things out from the video sequencer.

Any pointers?

You can’t even render out the GP that you draw in the VSE preview, so no. Sorry you can’t. You are stuck with 3D view render.

EDIT:
Sorry you can render the VSE preview the same way by clicking the OpenGL render button at the bottom of the preview window. You could do animate as well but the audio probably wont embed…

Ah. Yeah. Figured that. I opted to do a screecapture with Icecream Apps - crude - but did the trick, then using Free Studio - converted the video to image sequence to use in another software. Thanks anyway!

They should totally find a way to export the GP from the VSE.

In 2.72, it’s possible to render this out by using the viewport OpenGL animation render option (see the sequencer header).

For example, here’s a quick example I put together:
gp_sequencer_anim-01.blend (635 KB)

(Beware: Programmer art :wink:

Fun fact, you can get many cool realtime 3D effects and composites this way too :wink:

Updated!

Oh wow, that worked, thanks @Aligorith - well just in your scene. Now in my own I can’t get it working. It still is rendering out blank (no GP).

Are there any kind of special settings you need to setup to get it to work?

Found out that… I had two sequencers up, and it put priority to the second sequencer. For some reason one panel had the grease pencil, and the other did not. Even if rendering from the first panel, the second one was the one it rendered - which didn’t have a Grease pencil. I copied the whole project into a new scene, and now it’s working fine, though I have lost all my grease pencil art in the process… oh well.

Why not just change the sequencer window that was giving you trouble?

Also the grease pencil has keyframes on a data block try opening the dope sheet set to grease pencil. It may still be available to you.

Good idea, I’m new to blender, how does one “change” the sequencer window?

Bottom left corner there is an icon that represents the window type. Change it to something else like properties.