Cycles Emission Pass Does Not Work Corectly?

Hi All,

I have a simple cube on a plane setup using Blender 2.72. The cube emits orange light on to the plane. When I examine the emission pass all I get is the cube itself, not the emission on to the plane. This seems broken to me.

Is there a way to get the entire emission pass?

Attachments

The light on the plane isn’t emission, it’s the light reflected off the plane. The emission pass includes only the emission, not the light bounced off of other surfaces. In other words, the plane isn’t emitting anything, so why would it be included in the emission pass?

No, it seems normal to me.

The emission pass is for emission rays. The plane emit nothing but only get rays from the cube. So, you should see what you’re looking for in the direct diffuse pass.

It wasn’t like that in the 2.71? I think it was the same. Even Arnold works that way.

It’s the Emission pass, not the Where Do Light Be At pass. :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks for the explanation. I was just looking for a way to speed up Cycles rendering. Emission based lighting is incredibly convenient but also incredibly noisy. I thought if I could just extract that pass and blur it out that would allow me to render with less samples.

Over all it does not seem that useful. I can get the same effect using a PassIndex on an object. I guess if the object has multiple materials and some of them are emissive it becomes a bit more useful.

Attachments