Fairy grassland

Hello there i would like your opinion son this piece of work, i am a beginner in blender and would love your critiques on this rendered image

Here is the link tot download the image http://www.pasteall.org/pic/78837 i dont know why it is coming up very small
Thanks a lot

Very good as a beginner! I would scale down the dandelions and give them more variation, same for the flowers and maybe also the grass (compared to the tree).
You can try using vertex weight painting to give some height, density, etc, variation.
Lighting: can be improved but not sure what mood you want to give to your scene (morning,evening, dramatic…)
About composition: right now to me seems like there is no real point of focus…i would try the “classic” solitary tree on the hill, if you don’t have better ideas.

The image seems too dark with the hill blocking the entire horizon. I understand what you tried to do here, but you either have to add some luminosity (or sources of it) to the image, or create a great point of interest that would fit in with the overall theme.

Andrew Price made a tutorial on composition that I think you should check out - http://www.blenderguru.com/tutorials/understanding-composition/ (I know, it’s a debatable and rather boring topic, but I think he makes a number of valid points there)

I actually like the idea of it being a hill to climb but there remains a need for a focal point or center of interest. Also, I’m not perfectly sold on the monochromatic grass, bark and leaves. If anything, at least consider grouping the yellow flowers together and maybe restricting the dandelions to the top of the hill as silhouettes - they take the eye all over the place. For composition’s sake, consider a log in the foreground framing the image, maybe even depth of field. The potential here is great!

Composition is debatable in a good way! i.e. it’s something we should all be thinking about and making conscious decisions about if we want to present our work in the best possible way. The 3D-modelling world seems to have a bit of a problem with the balance between technical skill and composition. It’s much easier to learn something concrete like a new skill and see quick results, than it is to learn something very subjective like composition (but which is actually critical).

Andrew’s video looks like a good introduction. I think the “rule of thirds” deserved a little more criticism, it’s a really overused, and misused, compositional tool. The only reason the rule has become so accepted is because it is so easy to understand, and because most things moved off centre are falsely attributed to the rule. I appreciate that it’s value is generally just to encourage people to try moving things away from the middle, but if we look at an image and immediately know that the rule of thirds was used, then in my opinion that is a major failing of the composition.

I liked that he had some skepticism for the golden ratio (I think the rule of thirds deserved more!), and that he noted that just trying to force it into a composition can have bad results - the golden spiral is almost like another rule of thirds in it’s just something that is easy to overlay, so it can be very over used.